RIR is honking???

norlar

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Hello all,
I have noticed in the last week or so that Lucy, my RIR, makes a honking sound where as my other chicks peep. I have 2 RIR's and 2 Ameraucana's. All are 10 weeks old. No problems eating or drinking. Poop is normal. Her activity is normal. I'm still working on their coop so all my girls are inside the house with me (I'm going to be very sad when they go live in their coop). I do take them outside everyday for several hours and Lucy keeps up with the other three. I see no signs of illness...but she honks????
I would say she sounds just like a goose.
I'm a first time chicken mom and I don't know if I should be concerned. Do chicken vocalizations change as they grow older??
I'd appreciate any information or advice.
thanks

When does she "honk"? Does she do it all the time or when she is eating? I have a pullet that makes the same noise when she eats to fast. I also have a hen that makes the same noise.

She honks all the time. Well...she will make a peeping sound when she peeps softly. But the most part she wants to be heard and she honks!
I think it's just strange but I hope she is alright. I can deal with the honking. It will make it easier to tell my two RIR's apart.
thanks~

I have a blind Buff Orpington that has always honked. I think it's part of her charm.
love.gif

Ahhh... thanks everyone. I feel better about my honking Lucy. Excellent forum!!!
frow.gif

Are you sure she's a she?? What do baby roos sound like when they are starting to crow??

I have a Chihuahua that does the same thing when she's excited...
lol.png
But that doesn't help you any...sorry!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom