RIR laid two eggs

KLO

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
Hello all!
Had a question for all you RIR owners. We have one very precious, very beloved RIR. She was hatched with her sisters on Sept. 9th and last week was our first girl to lay! She surprised us by laying two eggs back to back. I PROMISE they were both hers and we did not miss an egg one day. We are very diligent and only have the one RIR. The rest are 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Easter eggers, 2 Australorps. One EE started laying yesterday and the one BR started laying about 3 days ago.

Pecky, the RIR, has laid an egg every single day since she started laying. She lays her egg between 7:00-7:30 every morning consistently. I know this because their coop is just a few feet from our bedroom and we have a door in our room that leads us our to where the coop is.

My question is. Can I expect her to take a break anytime soon? I know it isn't common for a chicken to lay two eggs and then lay every single day for 10 days but that's what she is doing. Did I just get a super chicken? Is this common among RIR's? Or can I expect her to take a few days off here soon?

I'm a first time chicken owner so sorry if these questions are stupid.

Your questions are certainly NOT stupid! It's pretty rare for a chicken to lay 2 eggs in a 24 hour period simply because it takes 24 hours to develop an egg and lay it! You say you have barred rocks and other chickens that lay brown eggs, so it could have been some other chicken's egg. But maybe not. Chickens will lay daily for the first few months and usually will then settle down to about 5 days a week. They put out a lot at first! Congratulations on your first eggs, pretty exciting huh? :cool:

Your questions are certainly NOT stupid! It's pretty rare for a chicken to lay 2 eggs in a 24 hour period simply because it takes 24 hours to develop an egg and lay it! You say you have barred rocks and other chickens that lay brown eggs, so it could have been some other chicken's egg. But maybe not. Chickens will lay daily for the first few months and usually will then settle down to about 5 days a week. They put out a lot at first! Congratulations on your first eggs, pretty exciting huh? :cool:

At first, we thought that we had two layers as well. However, for about 6 days afterwards, Pecky (the RIR) laid but none of the other birds did. And the RIR's eggs are darker than the Barred Rock's who just started laying about 2 days ago. None of our other girls are laying besides the BR and EE who started yesterday. My husband checked the nesting boxes in the morning before work and then I checked them in the afternoon because my toddler and mom (she is staying with us for awhile as I'm due any day with our third child) wanted to check on them and see. The BR has laid two very light brown eggs and the EE laid 1 Green egg. The RIR's eggs are much darker and both of her first two eggs were dark.

Isn't it nice to have your own home grown eggs? So much nutrition for your new baby! Congratulations on that by the way! Enjoy the eggs, who cares who laid what?! Having laying chickens is just eggsiting!!
:wee :love:wee:love

My first flock consisted of 5 Golden Comets.
Once they were laying regularly, they would lay 10 days straight on average, take a day off and repeat.
They were bred to be awesome layers.
My 5 Barred Rocks once up to speed each one laid 4 to 6 eggs weekly.
Rhode Island Reds are one of, if not the best brown egg laying breeds.
Golden Comets are a sex-links hybrid, not a breed.
I love my Comets and Rocks, but I like eggs and will buy a high production breed or a sex-links hybrid next time. 20200202_133637_resized.jpg 20200111_095205_resized_1.jpg . GC
ETC; each Barred Rock laid 4 to 6 weekly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom