RIR or Australorp egg?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pioneergirl, Oct 28, 2010.

1. pioneergirl

pioneergirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    East Texas
    I went to my neighbors today and in his henhouse we found a giant brown egg it was way bigger than the rest of his eggs. He has all RIR's including his rooster and one Australorp ( I guess- she was a black hen). I wondered if the egg was big because of the breed (possibly Australorp) or if it was just a weird accidental giant egg. Is this one I should not try to hatch?

2. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Is it a double-yolker?

3. pioneergirl

pioneergirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    East Texas
    Well I did some research on the board and I'm guessing it probably is. Don't think I want to try and hatch it.

4. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:My Aussie's eggs are not bigger than a RIR. Most times they are either the same or smaller. Eitherway if it is abnormally large I would not try to hatch it b/c it could have two yolks and I have never known anyone to have a good hatch from a double yoker.

Take Care,
    B

5. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    the 2 breeds mentioned lay about the same sized egg. I have been getting LOTS of double yokers from my RIRs this summer, the Black Aust. were good about it too though lol

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If its a double yolker, I would guess RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by