RIR(production) or RSL??

de kippendame

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2011
South Central IA
These two were sent to me as hatching eggs and she told me they were RIRs. I assumed when I ordered them, they were just production strain and I am totally fine with that since my current production reds are wonderful and very pretty birds. However, when they hatched, I wondered if maybe they were sex-linked?? Or possibly somewhere in the production strain it would cause this little guy(I'm fairly certain he is a he) to be this white? In these pictures, the pair are almost 4 weeks.
Sorry the pictures aren't that great, he wouldn't stop moving!
D.gif

And this is his sister...and I hope she is a sister!!
fl.gif

After digging through other listings from the seller I purchased my hatching eggs from, I've learned that these two are most likely a product of a Rhode Island White Rooster and a Production Red Hen. AKA, ISA Brown, which are sex-linked. The white fella is a Roo and the Red is a Pullet! Would anyone agree/disagree with this or have any other input?
idunno.gif

I would agree that it is a good possibility. But it's hard to be certain when the breeder themselves are a bit of a mystery. Do they maintain pure lines? Have they done any color tinkering? These issues could affect any attempts to obtain SLs

There are lots and lots of Red Sex Links, made in several ways. There all kinds of shades of production reds as well.

An ISA Brown is a patented, commercial bird, however, not a simple RSL at all. Nor a simple 2 way cross. Just to clarify.
Oh, I see...Well, I do know that she has a Rhode Island White rooster over RIR hens so whatever that makes(she called them ISA Browns in one of her listings) is most likely what I have.
hu.gif
Whatever they are, I'm nearly certain their mamas were Production Reds, which I'm totally ok with, I really wasn't looking for pure breeder birds, just some eggs for a broody to hatch that were different from ones I already had(I also got Buff Orps. and EE in my order, which are new breeds to our flock).

Oh, I see...Well, I do know that she has a Rhode Island White rooster over RIR hens so whatever that makes(she called them ISA Browns in one of her listings) is most likely what I have.
hu.gif
Whatever they are, I'm nearly certain their mamas were Production Reds, which I'm totally ok with, I really wasn't looking for pure breeder birds, just some eggs for a broody to hatch that were different from ones I already had(I also got Buff Orps. and EE in my order, which are new breeds to our flock).
White rooster over RIR won't make a sexlink, it's the other way around.

Yup, there are lots of people falsely advertising ISA Browns. As far as I know, Townline Hatchery is the only licensed ISA Brown seller in the US. That I know of.

Second generation ISA Browns are not ISA's either. They don't breed true and are mutts. We've got lots of them.
And..... The true Rhode Island White is an endangered, RARE breed. Probably less than 800 in the US. They are rose combed as well. What is said to be RIW, even sold as RIW are just silver-white birds. For what it is worth. Folks who sell birds even proudly display photos of their RIW with SINGLE COMBS!!! For pity's sake.

The stuff people say to sell birds, huh?

Doesn't make your birds anything but great, btw. Enjoy them.

Last edited:
White rooster over RIR won't make a sexlink, it's the other way around.

Yup, there are lots of people falsely advertising ISA Browns. As far as I know, Townline Hatchery is the only licensed ISA Brown seller in the US. That I know of.

Second generation ISA Browns are not ISA's either. They don't breed true and are mutts. We've got lots of them.
And..... The true Rhode Island White is an endangered, RARE breed. Probably less than 800 in the US. They are rose combed as well. What is said to be RIW, even sold as RIW are just silver-white birds. For what it is worth. Folks who sell birds even proudly display photos of their RIW with SINGLE COMBS!!! For pity's sake.

The stuff people say to sell birds, huh?

Doesn't make your birds anything but great, btw. Enjoy them.
I think sometimes people think they have something that they really don't because they were misinformed to begin with...which is just plain boloney!! I'll be happy with my little mutts either way! If they don't lay(and if I don't fall for them
wink.png
), I'm sure they'll do just fine in freezer camp.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom