RIR Rooster over Ayam Cemani hen.

FoggyFowl1719

Chirping
Dec 2, 2021
New Mexico
Ok, so we raise all different breeds of chicken here. I am pretty good at keeping all the chickens where I want them so that I make sure my chicks breed true. But today, one of my Ayam Cemani hens made her way into the Rhode Island Red pen. I'm not sure how long she had been in there but she was being treated like part of that flock. That leads me to believe that the rooster must have gotten to her and bred. Has anyone ever had this cross before? All I can find is the Cemani roo over a RIR hen. But I know the genetics come out different when you reverse things like that.

I agree with the others. I would put all her eggs in pedigree bags or some other way of isolating the resulting chicks and legband or wingband them so you will know who they are. Either that or don't incubate any of her eggs for 3 weeks after she rejoins her flock.

She is a crafty bird🤣. Every day I have to put her back on her side. It turns out, the chickens of the flock that she keeps going into don't like her. Even the Rooster chases her and won't breed with her. She is only doing it to lay her egg. I have been watching her. She uses the design of the coop to her advantage. She will get up into the rafters, squeeze herself between the ceiling and chicken wire, and drop down on the other side. She then goes to her newly preferred nest box, lays her egg, and tries to get back to her side before the others beat her up. I have been working on the issue with her being able to get to that side. I can't believe I'm being outsmarted by a chicken🤣🤣🤣🤣

Be careful because the chicks are going to look just like cemani but they will be junk in the next generation.
I completely agree. I bred my Silver Laced Wyandotte hens with a Rhode Island Red rooster to get my Red Sexlinks. I then bred those Sexlinks with another Rhode Islan Red rooster. From 2 red parents, I got several chicks that look like Silver Laced Wyandottes. And some came out looking like Golden Laced Wyandottes. The RIR over a Speckled Sussex looks like a watered down Sussex as well. I only have 1 RIR hen but I am having the darndest time getting the eggs to hatch. They either die young in the shell, are infertile, or just don't hatch for some crazy reason. I can't figure it out. She lays huge, thick shelled eggs daily. And I only have 1 rooster to the 8 hens that are in there. My fertility rates for the other hens is 98%. And the hatch rate is 84%. So I know I'm doing it right. Mystery at the farm🤔

Back
Top Bottom