RIR x White Leghorn

jpepmiller

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2017
Louisiana
I bred my RIR over all my hens, and I am having trouble figuring out which chicks came from which eggs. I do know that one of the black chicks came from one of the leghorn eggs. Is this possible?

I bred my RIR over all my hens, and I am having trouble figuring out which chicks came from which eggs. I do know that one of the black chicks came from one of the leghorn eggs. Is this possible?

If you bred a RIR rooster with white leghorns I do not feel you would have gotten a black chick out of that cross, unless the breeders are crossed.

If you bred a RIR rooster with white leghorns I do not feel you would have gotten a black chick out of that cross, unless the breeders are crossed.

I actually think he leghorn was a cross between the same "RIRxLeghorn". I got them from the leghorns from an old man and I think that's what he said. but I still didn't think it would end up with a black chick.

I actually think he leghorn was a cross between the same "RIRxLeghorn". I got them from the leghorns from an old man and I think that's what he said. but I still didn't think it would end up with a black chick.
No one would know what can turn up when you got mixed breeds, crossing with mixed breeds. They are just mixed. So its possible a black one showed up? I bought some hatching eggs from a real nice lady----had no idea what I had when they hatched even though she had clearly written on the carton "blue copper maran" The eggs probably did come from a blue copper maran hen BUT I sat and talked with her later-----She had about 8 breeds all sharing the same pen and free ranging and she Truly believed they bred with ONLY their own kind. Her eggs were so mixed up the Auction owner had so many complaints he told her to not bring anymore eggs to the sale. Might be the same with the OLD man?

Last edited:
No one would know what can turn up when you got mixed breeds, crossing with mixed breeds. They are just mixed. So its possible a black one showed up? I bought some hatching eggs from a real nice lady----had no idea what I had when they hatched even though she had clearly written on the carton "blue copper maran" The eggs probably did come from a blue copper maran hen BUT I sat and talked with her later-----She had about 8 breeds all sharing the same pen and free ranging and she Truly believed they bred with ONLY their own kind. Her eggs were so mixed up the Auction owner had so many complaints he told her to not bring anymore eggs to the sale. Might be the same with the OLD man?

That's hilarious! Probably so. It was my first time hatching and I thought I'd be able to keep track of which chicks came from which eggs but I failed. My real issue is that the black ones look like black sex link and I do have a barred rock gen but I don't think any were her eggs. I thought my black ones came from my EE eggs which would make them OEs. Would that make more sense?

That's hilarious! Probably so. It was my first time hatching and I thought I'd be able to keep track of which chicks came from which eggs but I failed. My real issue is that the black ones look like black sex link and I do have a barred rock gen but I don't think any were her eggs. I thought my black ones came from my EE eggs which would make them OEs. Would that make more sense?

LOL.

Well if you got a barred rock hen----that is probably where your black one came from.

I've been wondering what would happen if I bred a RIR with white leghorn pullets. Would they be good layers? They would be a sex-link, wouldn't they? Would the eggs be small like the leghorn eggs? Anybody tried this?

I've been wondering what would happen if I bred a RIR with white leghorn pullets. Would they be good layers? They would be a sex-link, wouldn't they? Would the eggs be small like the leghorn eggs? Anybody tried this?
Not sex linked as wl are dominant white. Eggs would be large and cream colored, production should be good.

Back
Top Bottom