RIR

i asume any chicken is eatable but i was wondering if RIR had alot of meat ..worth killing and eating.im asking for someone ealse actuly al ot of time i do lol.she has eggs in the bator and asked me if she alot of boys if rir where good for meat. i told her i think so but figured someone with more experience in that feild could tell me more.

all my chickens are RIRs but I keep them for the eggs, haven't killed any for meat. They lay beautiful large brown eggs. My DD says we are going to eat T-Rex, the roo for thanksgiving turkey.It's a going joke in our family, since he runs everyone but me, even the dogs are afraid of him.
gig.gif
marrie

We eat RIRs and other dual-purpose chickens all the time. Are they as big and meaty as Cornish X? Definitely not. Do they taste better? I think so. I know taste is subjective, but having raised both kinds of birds, I prefer the flavor of the chickens that ran around the yard eating bugs and grass and weeds over the flavor of the fat bird that just sat by the feed all day.
smile.png

so my advise her to wasnt wrong lol thank you for answering me

i buy chicken at the store still ..i know i know but i hate killing anything myself lol.but maybe helping her get some ready will help me know if i can do it.i did it as a kid but man im not a kid any more lol.or maybe ill start hatching for her and make her give me some lol.anyways thanks for advise

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom