Rir

Lchristian

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014
I'm not really all that new but I can not figure out how to post a question any other way. Please help on that. Ok so I have 4 RIR hens. One day I'll get 4 eggs, and the next day I'll get 2. I thought they were supposed to lay every day but it seems I have 2 that are laying every other day. What could cause this?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

When did they start laying? If they just started then it's normal for them to not lay every day. If they are old hens, same thing. Make sure they have water, food, shelter, light and calcium.

Here's a good link too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

At the top screen there is a button that says "Forum." Scroll down to Raising Backyard Chickens. Click the category you wish to post it. Then there should be a blue button at the top left corner that says "start a new thread." Click it and then submit.

Every other day is about right for some chickens.
frow.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Not all birds lay every day. I have some that lay every day and some that lay every 2 or 3 days. Every bird is different. If they are young birds, they do need time to get their egg laying machines in gear, so they may pick on on the laying in a month or two. But if these are adults, this sounds normal to me. Make sure they are not laying out in the fields somewhere or not being eaten by them or some critter.

Enjoy your RIR's and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Very few chickens lay every day. Rhode Island Reds tend to lay 5-6 eggs a week. Older birds, or birds new to laying may lay fewer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom