RIR's and New Hampshire Reds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not any different? . . . Umm, didn't we just show photos and describe some differences?

To me, they're as similar to each other as Delawares and Sussex. Barred Rocks and Dominiques. Columbian Rocks and Sussex. In hatchery stock, no, there is little to no difference. In the actual, true breed, there's a lot of differences.

Get an SOP book and you'll really see.
smile.png

Last edited:
The A.P.A. defines some cosmetic differences that you mostly only see in exhibition bred birds.

Back in the day when Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires had some commercial importance there was some difference, but those birds are now largely lost. Maybe if you could get access to the breeder flocks used by the commercial producers of sex-links you could still find some of those birds but otherwise not.

Among the hatcheries that most folks get their birds from they are now largely the same. Decent layers, but not what they used to be fifty and sixty years ago. Usually make a nice size, but again not like they once were. And they don't grow out as fast as they once did.

The way I understand it, the New Hampshires (I thought they were Reds too until this thread. I also learned something today) were developed from RIR to be more of a meat bird. The breasts should be broader (more white meat) and the lighter color gives a prettier carcass considering pin feathers compared to the RIR. So they should be a different color and a different body shape.

The original New Hampshires were not known as great egg layers since they were developed as meat birds. Whether or not the New Hampshires you get are great egg layers is going to depend on the strain. What that means is that if the breeder that has been selecting which birds to breed has been selecting for egg production, they might be pretty good. If egg production is not a high priority in selecting the parent birds, then they are probably not great egg producers.

I am not talking about hatchery birds as much as I am talking about birds from breeders that know what they are doing. Hatcheries will sell birds that are sort of the right color and sort of the right body shape, but they are not nearly as selective in ther breeding program as somebody that really follows the Standard Of Perfection. Hatchery birds will often lay well though because that is one of the traits the hatcheries want to encourage in their flocks.

After learning more about this breed in the last few months, they are very high on my radar screen when it comes time to introduce some fresh genes to my flock's gene pool, but my interest is more in meat than eggs.

I know this is going to get bad reviews, but some folks here tend to forget that the "heritage" birds were originally bred for egg and or meat production. None of the breeds were bred for a specific look. Some were bred to be more hardy for specific climates. There is a definite difference between showing birds to a specific SOP and raising birds for produce. It simple amazes me when someone says that's not a (insert breed name here) because it is to light, dark, heavy, small etc etc. New Hampshires may not be called Reds but enough folks know them as that that if you do a google search for one, you will find more about them than if you just search New Hampshire. They were most definitely bred from exclusively RIR stock. Some folks here could care less about a ribbon or a title...all they want is eggs and or meat from birds that meet there requirements. Why am I on a rant...the OP was looking for what the difference was between RIR & NHR birds as they relate to egg and or meat...not color or APA SOP.

A.T. Hagan :

The A.P.A. defines some cosmetic differences that you mostly only see in exhibition bred birds.

Back in the day when Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires had some commercial importance there was some difference, but those birds are now largely lost. Maybe if you could get access to the breeder flocks used by the commercial producers of sex-links you could still find some of those birds but otherwise not.

Among the hatcheries that most folks get their birds from they are now largely the same. Decent layers, but not what they used to be fifty and sixty years ago. Usually make a nice size, but again not like they once were. And they don't grow out as fast as they once did.

The A.P.A. defines some cosmetic differences that you mostly only see in exhibition bred birds

There is a lot of differences if you go by Standard.

Back in the day when Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires had some commercial importance there was some difference, but those birds are now largely lost.

How far back are we talking here? Most Exhibition stock look the same now as they did in the early 1900's [might be a little darker] but body type is the same.

If you are talking about a High egg producer that meets Standard there out there you just have to look a little harder for them.
Bob's old Mohawk line is still running around and that is a high egg production line that meets Standard.

Chris​

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, but the SOP is about cosmetic differences. Not production. The show birders and the farmers who made their living with those birds parted company long ago.

If you are talking about a High egg producer that meets Standard there out there you just have to look a little harder for them.
Bob's old Mohawk line is still running around and that is a high egg production line that meets Standard.

Chris

Who has them? I'd like to check them out. Are the Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires?​

I really want a "real" not a mutt pair or group of RIR or New Hampshires. Any who know a Breeder that will ship to Oklahoma? Thank you for all your help!

A.T. Hagan :

Quote:
Yes, but the SOP is about cosmetic differences. Not production. The show birders and the farmers who made their living with those birds parted company long ago.

Chris

Who has them? I'd like to check them out. Are the Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires?

Talk to Robert Blosl on here about his old Mohawk line of Rhode Island Reds he just found a few breeders that still have them.
You can also talk to some of the Red breeders over at CROhio I believe Don Nelson also has a line that will produce a fare amount of eggs a year.

We have to remember that the Rhode Island Red was never a small framed bird. With breeds like the Malay, Royal Cochin China's, Brahmas, and Java the R.I. Red could never have been a small or lanky bird.

Chris​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom