risks of feeding chicks layers pellets

I have my 11 week olds in with my laying hen and rooster. But now I'm totally confused on what they all should be eating.

I have the medicated chick starter in one feeder and the layer crumbles in another feeder. Obviously they can eat out of whatever one they want. My hen hasn't been laying lately and I'm wondering if it has to do with her maybe eating the chick starter.
We aren't eating the eggs so I'm not worried about the medicated part. I am worried about hurting the young ones with the layer feed.

Is there a feed I can feed to all of them? I want the little ones healthy and the hen to lay so I can incubate the eggs.

Last edited:
Well I don't have roos, so had never researched this. But I did a quick google for 'layer food to roosters' and came up with several threads (actually here on BYC). The consensus seems to be that most people either feed the flock raiser or 'all flock' with a la carte oyster shells or they just go ahead and let the roosters eat the layer feed. Were it me, I would go with option 1. While people say they don't see any ill effects of layer on their roosters, I'm just cautious enough not to want to take the chance and having a container of oyster shell out is not a lot of trouble. I spend a lot of time on here reading the Old Timers thread, and most of them seem to feed this way. So, I just follow their lead as much as possible. Again though, as you can see by my profile, I'm new to this, so I just try to follow those with lots of experience.

exactly what I do....I feed layer feed to all, with a side of oyster shells...IF I am integrating new chicks into the flock I switch all back to chick starter and supplement again with oyster shell....my hens and roos, are healthy and very happy...no illnesses as of yet....

I have my 11 week olds in with my laying hen and rooster. But now I'm totally confused on what they all should be eating.

I have the medicated chick starter in one feeder and the layer crumbles in another feeder. Obviously they can eat out of whatever one they want. My hen hasn't been laying lately and I'm wondering if it has to do with her maybe eating the chick starter.
We aren't eating the eggs so I'm not worried about the medicated part. I am worried about hurting the young ones with the layer feed.

Is there a feed I can feed to all of them? I want the little ones healthy and the hen to lay so I can incubate the eggs.
I have never fed anything medicated...like I just posted, I feed chick starter to all chickens when I have little ones joining the flock...my hens continued to lay great eggs. She may not be laying because you are trying to integrate some new ones in? The chick starter shouldn't have anything to do with her laying, just provide some oyster shell in a side dish.

If I have been giving the adults calcium through their feed up until now, does anyone have any suggestions for getting them used to/to accept the oyster shell? I sell my eggs, so I can't go through a long adjustment period until they get the hang of it.

If I have been giving the adults calcium through their feed up until now, does anyone have any suggestions for getting them used to/to accept the oyster shell? I sell my eggs, so I can't go through a long adjustment period until they get the hang of it.
Just offer it as free choice separate from their feed, they will eat it when they need it. Don't worry about it. They will get it!

You are all cordially reinvited, invited again to the 2nd biannual Lake Elsinore, CPP/BYC South meet-up. The date is March 28, 2015 the location will again be at Lake Point Park, at 420 E Lakeshore Dr Lake Elsinore, CA. 92530. Set up starts at 9am and the party starts at 10am until dusk. There are trees, a playground, restrooms, and 4 picnic tables (1 bbq in the area). Plenty of parking, but will have to make an aprox 100 yard walk. The spot is overlooking the lake and the weather should be perfect. So come one, come all and tell a friend and pack a picnic lunch.
Feel free to add what you're looking for or what you want to bring. And please share the tread. Any questions, PM me... Thanks...

You are all cordially reinvited, invited again to the 2nd biannual Lake Elsinore, CPP/BYC South meet-up. The date is March 28, 2015 the location will again be at Lake Point Park, at 420 E Lakeshore Dr Lake Elsinore, CA. 92530. Set up starts at 9am and the party starts at 10am until dusk. There are trees, a playground, restrooms, and 4 picnic tables (1 bbq in the area). Plenty of parking, but will have to make an aprox 100 yard walk. The spot is overlooking the lake and the weather should be perfect. So come one, come all and tell a friend and pack a picnic lunch.
Feel free to add what you're looking for or what you want to bring. And please share the tread. Any questions, PM me... Thanks...

Here is a thought for the upcoming meet up. Would it be possible for some of our chicken friends to make up some gift baskets for the raffle gifts? I think we had some awesome gifts and gadgets last year but I saw the gifts baskets at the Bakersfield meet up and I thought that was pretty cool. What do you all think?

Question - if I have chicks in the flock and I keep layer feed as a free choice so they can very it whenever they want but twice a day I feed my chicks separately chick feed will they also eat my layer pellets? I just don't want to separate them from their mother. And I don't want to use flock raiser because the layers need more calcium, so what do I do?

Back
Top Bottom