River/creek Sand? Or natural dirt/pine and leaf floor

Lizandjosh

Hatching
Apr 29, 2020
We currently have a dirt floor coop and add fallen pine needles and dry oak leaves since there is an endless supply on our property. When I clean the coop I take out the pine needles and add new ones full of yummy bugs I’m sure. Of course the chickens scrape back down to the dirt and dust bathe creating a super dusty coop inside :)
I have been thinking of switching to sand in the coop.. we have a lot of natural rivers and creeks with natural sandbars.. I feel like this is somewhat a silly question but, would it be safe, as in, I’m not introducing new harmful bacteria ect by adding natural river sand to the coop floor? Has anyone done this, added sand from a natural resource nearby?
I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons of switching to sand..or staying with the endless piles of pine needles and leaves.. I just feel like it’s a lot of leaves added to the compost each time..
Does a sand floor help cut down on dust? Please weigh in on with any thoughts!
Thanks y’all!!

I live in Florida, so our soil is mostly sand to which I diatomaceous earth. I use it covered with a thin layer of orchard grass hay so my girls can scratch through and take their dust baths. The DE also cuts down on ants. Easy to keep clean.

Considering the resource is free, I don't see how it would hurt to try. There are a lot of people who use sand in the coop! I've heard it should be washed to reduce dust, but that may not be a problem for you. I like the idea of sand because you can scoop out the poop and keep the coop cleaner! I know my ladies love, love, love playing in pine needles though.

I’m trying to weigh the pros and cons of switching to sand
That's a toughy.
Depends on how you want to 'clean'.
Can you please post some pics of your coop, inside and out?

Also.....Welcome to BYC! @Lizandjosh
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1588281500709.png

Back
Top Bottom