Roach Control!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RIVERA69R, Aug 18, 2010.

1. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I live in south florida I have 4 chickens that have a coop and run when im home they have free roam in the backyard. At night when I go to lock the run door there are way to many roaches all over. Is there any natural control to use so not to harm my chickens? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Not one piece of advise guys I know someone has a trick!!

3. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Sevin or DE... not sure how effective they will be on something as big as roaches, but I know they are safe around chickens.

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they Palmetto's? Ugh!!! Bugs don't bother me, but those things are just scary.

5. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    Are the roaches too big for the Chickens to eat?

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    DE should work and won't hurt the birds. It is like ground glass. It shouldn't matter what size the roach is. As for the rest I have very very rarely even seen a roach where I live so maybe others will know. I can't imagine that there isn't a bug that a chicken wouldn't eat.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Hissing roaches are like 5" to 6" long. But they are native to Madagascar.

8. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I would think that the Food Grade DE would do the trick. I paid $21.00 for a 50# bag. I sprinkle it on the straw in the coop and nests. Around where the girls take their dust baths. And on my Bell Peppers. [​IMG]

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Unfortunately, chickens don't eat at night. They get up on the roost and are oblivious to night activity. I have had some success with DE, but the biggest change was keeping the roaches out of the food. I put it in galvanized trash cans at night. It's a pain, but I really despise roaches!

The other thing that has helped us is the huge population of frogs, toads and rat snakes here. They eat the nasty roaches. I'd much rather deal with a snake than a roach. [​IMG]

10. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I call my chickens to me and start flipping over cut firewood,garbage cans and whatever a roach will hide under,the birds rush in and eat em up. That'll take care of some of them.Seven will get the rest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by