Roach infested coop

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
So about 2 weeks ago I was cleaning my coop and 3 roaches came running out, I thought nothing of it cuz I hadn't completely cleaned the coop in 3 weeks you know how it is. Well yesterday I was cleaning and 3 more roaches ran out, I blew the coop out with the bower after putting most in the compost then sprayed with chick fresh and poultry protector and put more shavings in. I don't want them bringing disease into the flock. I spot clean every other day and completely clean every 2 weeks, and ever 6 months I use a diluted bleach spray to disinfect and sometimes during the 2 week cleaning I use ACV to clean. I also have a not extreme but still apparent mite problem advice on that is appreciated too. I don't want to use perthium or DE in my coop or on the chicken's. I have to say those are some brave roaches though!

Would first Saturday lime help? Or change bedding?

Thanks
Pics so you can see my coop size
Screenshot_20220619-071012_Photos.jpg

I also have a not extreme but still apparent mite problem advice on that is appreciated too. I don't want to use perthium or DE in my coop or on the chicken's.
Bugs and roaches are attracted to the litter, the poop, etc.
You can control them with Permethrin based poultry products or Spinosad (Elector PSP).

Unfortunately, as you have found, natural type remedies aren't that effective once there's an infestation. Poultry Protector may help deter mites, but once established, it's going to be hard to rid the birds and housing unless you treat with an insecticide.

That's my 2¢

Back
Top Bottom