1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roaster taming

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dreamer43, Mar 17, 2013.

1. dreamer43

dreamer43 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    With my beautiful horse
    I have 2 beautiful speckled Sussex roasters, but every time my mom and I go out to feed them they bite us and chase us. How can I stop this from happening? We love them so we dont want to eat them.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    You have a problem now. They have you beaten and chased you, They now think they are the supreme ruler of the coop. So every time you do something they don't like they will try to punish you. You have to stand up to them and win every time. I'm not saying physically beat them, up just make sure they know they haven't won. Pin them to the ground, or pick them up and carry them around for a while, stand your ground and fend them off with a broom or stick.until they stop and then make them give up ground. And repeat. Be prepared to repeat often. In a roosters mind he thinks there is always a chance he can win until he is physically beaten badly. Ultimately there may never be peace as long as they are around. So think on how much effort you can and want to put into it. Getting rid of them may be for the best.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yes, a roaster is a good way of taming your onery ROOSTERS :lau

Seriously though, you can try the solutions offered in the previous post. They may work or they may not. Do you really want to carry a stick with you everytime you visit your chickens? There's also a good chance they'll start being sneaky and attacking you from behind if you challenge and beat them at their own game. When we have people over, especially children, they ALL want to visit with my birds. That would be impossible if my roo behaved the way yours do, too much of a liability. There are other nice, Speckled Sussex boys out there that are probably going to end up in someones stew pot. Give one of those guys a home. Another question, do you want to breed those nasty attitudes into the chicks you hatch (if you plan to hatch, that is)? I'm a firm believer that personalities are passed down through genetics....good luck! Watch your back around those guys :(
    Nikki

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  4. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Flap your arms and chase him back screaming loudly if he doesn't back down, kick him. Give him a boot every time he pecks. Not hard enough to maim him obviously but hard enough to know he messed up.

5. dreamer43

dreamer43 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    With my beautiful horse
    Alright thanks everybody I'll try these tips:)

6. SSAcres

SSAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

The rooster in my avatar is Bob. He's our only rooster and he has 10 hens. He USED to have an attitude problem and thought about pecking me while watering and also chasing me. I cured his problem. (He's only 6 months old.) I started handling the chickens more regularly to get them more socialized and used to it if need be. He was one of the first ones I picked to "torture". My BF started calling me the Chicken Whisperer. Yes, I managed to pet Bob and actually picked him up and talked to him w/out much of a fight. I was pleased. Prior to that he thought about attacking me before my foot met his body and I knocked him down. Needless to say, he's never ever thought about trying anything w/ me since then. If he's in my way, I tell him to "MOVE" and he does. I pet him every chance I get and I'll pet "his" girls while he stands right there and watches from a safe distance. He no longer tries to peck me when I'm watering either. What a good boy. I'm hoping he stays that way.

Good luck!!

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, the secret to taming roosters is to show no fear, never run from them, or turn your back, and handle them every chance you get.

It also helps not to make any sudden movements when near them.

8. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Is there such a thing as a tame (adult) rooster? Our favorite chick, Brownie, is now 6 weeks old & most likely a boy. He's always the 1st one to jump into my lap, and my daughter snuggles him several times a day. He's the only chick I trust to walk along side me outside the run without wandering off. I've read so much about rooster attacks and want to know if there are any stories about rooster cuddles? Most of the other Easter-egger chicks will also come up to us, but I feel they would first prefer treats then settle for cuddles.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Unfortunately, we read lots and lots of "rooster cuddles" stories here. They start when the chick is bought and end around 6 months when the hormones hit. The rooster is used to being treated as a pet, which in his mind means he's dominate to the humans, and folks get flogged and spurred. Especially kids. Sorry, roosters just aren't designed to be pets.

10. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I got my rooster for free because he was people aggressive. He is now the best rooster I could ever ask for. He even gets on my shoulder and rides around hunched while I do my chicken chores and rides to the coop at night. When I first got him I picked him up as often as I could, if he tried to attack I would stomp the ground in front of him with my arms spread and yelling no. Chickens are very smart and it is important for you to be the head rooster in your flock. Right now they think you are a rooster on the bottom of the pecking order. Let them know who is in charge. Roosters are very prideful things and it hurts their pride to be carried around like a football. Make sure you tame the head one first and do it in front of the flock. All will follow the leader. Next time you go out to them, pick him up and show him to the flock, then carry him around for all of your chores. At the end of your chores, show him to the flock again just to make sure. He will try again the second day so you just repeat the process. Usually by the third day they stop trying. You may get one more try about a week in, so you keep it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by