Robin egg

poultrycrazy711

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Hi, answer will be greatly appreciated. I was walking down the street and happened to come across a robin egg on the grass. I picked it up and it is fully intact and was a little warm. I brought it in my house and I started up my Brinsea mini advance incubator to 99.1-99.3 degrees fahrenheight and I put a lot of water in the well for high humidity. I realize that no one is supposed to be in possession of any wild birds or their eggs, but I just couldn't help myself. I was wondering if I should stop the turning of the egg 1 or 2 days prior to its hatch day, which is in about 9 days. I know that you are supposed to do this with chicken and other poultry eggs, but I'm not sure with a robin egg. Any knowledgable input would be very appreciated, thanks!

Good luck.
thumbsup.gif
I tried all different kind of wild bird eggs when I was kid. I had good success hatching them just not good luck keeping them alive after words
sad.png

I am planning to Brian the chick to a wildlife rehabilitator if it hatches. Does anyone know if and when I should stop turning the egg before its hatch date?

14 days incubation

stop turning at day 12

same as canary and myhah

EDIT: forgot to mention temp is slightly higher at 100.4 F 38C

Last edited:
here is some good info I found

Probably one of the most easily recognised bird eggs is the light blue American robin egg. Fallen eggs are not an uncommon occurrence as wind, older siblings and predators can all send eggs out of the nest. Because robin eggs do not have far to fall, they are often undamaged when found. The best parents for the robin eggs are the robin parents themselves. Therefore, to give the eggs the best chance of survival is to not try to hatch them yourself, but give them back to the robin parents.
Skill level:
Moderately Easy
Instructions

Things you need

• Box
  • Paper towels or T-shirt
  • Ladder

1. 1
    Place the eggs in a small box lined with paper towels or a T-shirt for safe keeping until you can find the nest. Do not handle the egg more than is necessary. Too much shaking will kill the chick inside.
  2. 2
    Look for the robin's nest. The egg doesn't fall far from the nest so look directly up into a tree or to a nearby bush. Robin nests are typically on a lower limb of the tree or close to the ground in a bush and made mostly of grass or fine twigs.
  3. 3
    Place the eggs back into the nest if the nest is within reach with a ladder. Then leave the area quickly so that the parents do not feel threatened and abandon the nest.
  4. 4
    Take the eggs to a local wildlife rehabilitation centre if you cannot find the nest. It is against federal law to keep the eggs without a proper permit, and the best chance the chicks will have is with those experienced with hatching and raising robins

Thank you for the great info. However when and if this egg hatches I will bring it to a local wildlife rehabilitator because I won't have any time to feed and tend to the chick properly. I'll let you know if it hatches or not, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom