1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Robins saved my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JulieNKC, May 20, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I was outside flipping over rocks to find worms for my chickens. I heard a bunch of birds making a ruckus and all my chickens dived under our boat. I looked up and maybe 20 feet up in the air over my head was a hawk. About 10 robins came up behind it, chased it up over the roof of the house and away they went. [​IMG] robins!

2. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    THat's really cool!

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    We have similar arrangements with tree swallows and eastern kingbirds. They mob hawk occasionally but does not work everytime. Mobing serves more to distract than actually drive hawk off. If hawk does get bead on their young / nest / or my baby chicks, then hawk will often prevail.

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I've seen blue jays mob hawks away, but I had no ideas robins would do that. That's amazing! Thank goodness your chickens are alright. [​IMG]

5. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Around here it's crows (ravens) but they are not always vigilant enough.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I didn't think robins would either. There are quite a few nests in my backyard though, so maybe cause they have babies they are feeling more protective. I'm just glad all chickies are safe and sound. [​IMG] I think most of my chickens are too big, but I do have a few silkies and 9-10 week old chicks who might have made an easy meal. I can't believe the hawk came that close though, all my chickies and ducks were within 5-10 feet of me waiting for their worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by