Rob's New HomeMade Chicken Feeder

To answer your question Nifty-Chicken, the reducer fits the chick feeder perfectly. I only needed metal straps to attached the feeder to the mobile run. I have moved the run with a four wheeler and by hand and it works great. Thanks for your interest in the feeder. It means alot.
smile.png

OK here's a dumb question...

Being a "Chicken Virgin" (a term I picked up from the lady at the Co-op), I don't have a proper mason Jar feeder for the chicks. I do have a bird feeder that was not in circulation. Is there anything wrong with using it as a feeder in the brooder? Chichens are birds, right?

Quote:
I'd say if its working its fine. There are all sorts of feeders in this forum. I'm using one of those birdfeeders that you are supposed to attach to a window outside to attract birds in one of my brooders (wired to the side of the cardboard box)-works great!

A big THANK-YOU for inspiring us yesterday.  I read the post in the morning and called DH over to see the pics.  We had been still using the chick feeders from the feed store and needed a change.  So DH said tell me what you want, and I did.  I don't need anything very large, and I wanted a side hopper for the oyster shell.  So here it is, installed yesterday evening! First pic in the shop, second one in the coop.

Misc525.jpg

Misc544.jpg

I made one very similar to this (without the side bin) and it was Heavy! It worked well except my girls would scoop the food out. I fixed that by attaching 1" wide thin pieces around the top of the trough. This creates about a 1/2" lip around the inner edge of the top of the trough which catches the food before it can be shoveled out. This thing will hold nearly a whole 40# bag of feed!

Back
Top Bottom