Rob's New HomeMade Chicken Feeder

Oh, the feeder is much smaller than I thought. There wasn't much in the pic for size reference so I thought I was looking at a good portion of a 7' tall room...

My wife just glanced over at the photo and asked what it was. I told her it was a feeder and she asked if you filled it from the roof. She also thought it was a full size room and that the hopper was the size of a large heating duct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Guess that would explain why the waterer is 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Hey its late I was thinking 8 ft ceiling
roll.png

Mac in abilene wrote
She also thought it was a full size room and that the hopper was the size of a large heating duct.

That is what I thought it was at first a heating duct, and that didn't seem like a bad Idea​

Last edited:
Wow thats COOL - gimme a month or so I bet I could put something similar together without breaking too many nails (my own)
gig.gif

I like the idea and may copy it.
Do you need to worry about keeping bugs out of it?
We have a little colony of earwigs that hang around, not too many , probably only a few billion of them
lol.png

Last edited:
Haha.... that would be a super big feeder for sure! If it was that big I'd have to be feeding ostriches I think.

On the BCY page one of the first pics is of Alana and the frame which should help for size comparison out of the gate:

feeder-1.jpg

barg, I'm not as worried about bugs as I am about rats / mice... but the way I figure it is that they could get to the other feed just as easy as they can get to this feed... now I just have to refill it less often.
big_smile.png

A big THANK-YOU for inspiring us yesterday. I read the post in the morning and called DH over to see the pics. We had been still using the chick feeders from the feed store and needed a change. So DH said tell me what you want, and I did. I don't need anything very large, and I wanted a side hopper for the oyster shell. So here it is, installed yesterday evening! First pic in the shop, second one in the coop.

Misc525.jpg

Misc544.jpg

Zenbirder - You forgot the PINK Paint, dont forget two coats

HPIM0155.jpg

This is my feeder used an old Potatoe and Onion bin, then made two little hoppers for the grit and oyster shell

Its whatever works, only have to refill once a week, and grit and oyster shell check every week and top off if needed

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom