Rob's New HomeMade Chicken Feeder

That's great, Rob!! I used to live in a dry climate so I understand your joy. Those of us who get to live in the rain can only dream of such good fortune and be envious of it.

Thanks! Yup, we're pretty dry here and even when it rains the humidity isn't that bad for long. I've also got the feeder in a well covered area.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if moisture becomes a problem.

you will rarely see (low level) mycotoxin damage... all feed has the potential in the right environmental conditions for the spores to become active and cause problems (immunesuppression, malabsorption etc )

http://www.fao.org/docrep/S4314E/s4314e08.htm
Good storage is essential because the value of the feed that you present to your animals depends on it. Feed spoils during storage -whether it deteriorates quickly or slowly depends partly on its quality when you receive it but very largely on how you store it on your farm.

Fungal growth itself encourages local rises in temperature and moisture content. Many fungi are killed during the processing of ingredients but their spores are resistant and remain present to re-infect the material later if the environmental conditions become favourable for their development.

There are various types of chemical reactions which cause rancidity to develop. The result, as far as feed quality is concerned, is similar. Rancid fats reduce the palatability of the feed and contain toxic chemicals which may depress growth (Appendix XV). Chemicals may also be produced which reduce the availability of amino acids in the feed proteins. .........

Vitamin potency decreases during storage (and processing), particularly in premixes which also contain minerals. Naturally occuring vitamins in feed-stuffs also deteriorate on storage. Vitamin C is particularly susceptible, as is thiamine (vitamin B1)........

As shown in section 7.1., many problems can occur during feed storage. Some deterioration is inevitable. Thus ingredients should be stored for as short a period as possible and compounded feeds used quickly....."

Update: I was getting frustrated not being able to see the exact level of the feed as it got to the bottom so I added some plexi glass windows:

feeder-windows.jpg

Check out my home-made feeder on my page. I got the idea from Nifty-Chicken's Frankenfeeder (at least that is what he calls it). I only have 4 chickens and wanted to re-use their mason jar feeder.
wink.png

25607_0710091104.jpg
25607_0710091214a.jpg

Last edited:
I like llamagirl's feeder.

One little tune up. Instead of buying the 4" coupling and 4" cleanout with plug, why not buy a 4" cap. Save a little money and because the cap fits over the top rather than in the top like a plug it will be more weather resistant.

Back
Top Bottom