rock chickens

gundog

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 17, 2007
Hello all---new to the forum here.
Have only had chickens since this past April when I bought 2 barred rock, 2 new hampshire reds, and 2 buff orphington. The 2 barred rock were both roosters and had to go. One buff Orphington got caught by one of our dogs. The 1 buff and 2 reds are still here. The 2 reds are good layers. One lays every day and the other every other day. The buff has not done so well. Since getting rid of the roosters the chickens have been nice and quiet just the way I like it. This spring I'm going to add a few to our flock and I want to "color it up" I plan on keeping one hen each of Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, either White Rocks or White Orphington, and either Buff Rock or Buff Orphington. I'd like to keep between 5-7 hens. My questions are--- Are the rocks quiet and nonfighters? The quietness is a big concern as I'm not supposed to have chickens where I live. I live on a 2/3 acre lot but still have neighbors. The coop and run are in the back of our lot(no neighbors behind us) and I have a privacy fence up back there that encircles the dogs and the chicken coop/run so none can be seen. The other ? is who are the better layers the rocks or Orphingtons?
Chickens014.jpg

Chickens006.jpg

I hope the pics worked-- if they did I will put pics of our coop on the coop forum-- It is easy to tell y'all like pics.

Last edited:
The one in the middle of the top photo is either a EE or an Americana.

I can only tell you that I have two barred rocks in with a big variety of others and they are not loud or aggressive, but very sweet. As far as laying goes, they are only 15 weeks so we haven't started seeing eggs from them yet.

And congrats on having us pegged as total pic addicts. You'll fit in well here
gig.gif

Welcome!!

I didn't think the off white one was a Orphington even though that is what the farm store sold it to us as. I knew the Buff Orphingtons were supposed to be golden and lay a brown egg and this chicken is off white and lays a green egg.
As far as the red ones they are "supposed to be" New Hampshire reds--- how can you tell the difference between New Hampshire vs. RIR vs. Production Red??

Last edited:
My Buff Rocks are all quiet, calm & friendly!
I believe the White & Barred Rocks are the best layers of the Rocks!
My Buff Brahmas are quiet too!

Mine aren't laying though! ((when my EE's lay they want you to know))

Back
Top Bottom