Rock in egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dissing, Mar 4, 2009.

1. dissing

dissing New Egg

Mar 4, 2009
    I cracked open an egg yesterday and it had a small hard gray "thing" in it about the size of a pencil eraser. Is this an excess calcium deposit or something? Is the egg safe to eat? I'm a newcomer to raising chickens.

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    maybe early embryo formation, do you have a roo?

Not really sure but I wouldn't eat it.

3. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I had that in a duck egg once too..never did find out what it was.. any ideas anyone?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Probably just a big meat spot.

5. dissing

dissing New Egg

Mar 4, 2009
    I have one rooster & 4 hens. We get about 3 eggs/day. We pick them daily, so there shouldn't be anytime for an embryo to form should there???

6. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    This could actually be a rock. I have heard that if chickens cannot digest something, it can come out in an egg.

I can't tell you how many eggs I checked for a small diamond one of my birds pecked from my ring once.

If i'm wrong here someone let me know.....cos someone played a funny on me if not, LOL!

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Quote:Someone is definately playing a funny on you! Other than the vent being where poo and egg both come out the reproductive organs and digestive organs on a chicken are different. Just think that if something doesn't agree with your stomach it doesn't come out your uterus! [​IMG]

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] but true!

9. hooksetz

hooksetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Does it taste like chicken??[​IMG]

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Is there any way that grit could make its way to the area where the shell is applied?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by