Rocks in bator?

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
I'm reading all I can I incubating before we actually try it so I hopefully, won't make too many mistakes. One of the websites I found recommended using a few clean flat rocks in the bottom of styrofoam incubators as heat sinks. Supposedly it helps maintain temps when you have to open to turn eggs or the power goes out.

Anyone else heard of this?

I have heard of people putting bottles of water in when they only have a small number of eggs...But never rocks. I guess anything that will hold heat would work- I usually just buy some chicken eggs from the supermarket when I only set small numbers of duck eggs and swap them over each week to ensure they dont go too rotten.

I have used polished rocks in the incubator to help keep temsp steady and even. I had a turner in my bator so all the empty slots on the turner were filled with a rock. Worked great for keeping things nice and even.

I have used small baby food jars with lids and holes poked in them as heat sinks. They work good to stabilize your incubator temps if you have an LG or other incubator that the temps seem to fluctuate a bit.

Back
Top Bottom