rocks were just tough!

Spudd dud

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Mondovi
Ok, so this last spring I got 42 birds (for the first time raising checkens it was a little daughnting) and 25 were for meat. I got them april 28 and I "fufilled the 25 birds purpose" in december (8 months). When we cooked them, man were they tough! I never had chicken that was that tough. They were all about 7 lb roosters that seemed ready from what I could tell. So now I have a freezer full of soup meat!

Question time: why, why were they so tough?

Any answers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Spudd dud

8 months is way too old unless you pressure cook one..not going to happen in my house unless I want soup he must go on the BBQ
big_smile.png

If you don't eat them by 6 months they are not good for most eating. 4 months would be ideal-we are working on that bird here now

I'm figuring we will probobly preasure cook for chilli or chicken noodle soup.

HBuehler, you say 8 months is too old. Why would MM's catalog state that after 10 months Rocks are ready? Is this just the age that they are fully grown?

Thanks,
Kris

We roasted our almost year-old roo at 325*F the same way we do our Thanksgiving turkey and it turned out wonderfully! We did pour some broth in the bottom of the roasting pan at the beginning of cooking; maybe that helped?

Quote:
X2 Makes the most difference. If you didn't let them sit for a couple days before freezing, try setting one in the fridge for a few days before you roast it.

Spudd dud

I also agree with Katy, how many days did you let the birds rest in the refrigerator between butchering and freezing? Everyone has their preference on days, but 3-4 days is a good start and really helps to naturally tenderize the meat.

Back
Top Bottom