oldhenlikesdogs

Hope Springs Eternal
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
We generally see rodents here in the fall. This year is different. There is a sudden explosion of mice and rats like I've never seen in the past 22 years living here. We are trapping and poisoning, but they persist. Full grown, fat, and healthy rats. We caught one in a live trap, it's been eating well.

So my question is is anyone else seeing this currently? We also have tons of predators about too. I would assume it has something to do with our more mild winter last year, and just a general up tick in nature.

Nothing more than usual at the coop and barn, and no rats noticed either place.
I do have unexpected guests in our attic; mice and red squirrels! Complete with three (!!!) openings chewed into the underside of the roof for easy access and egress! Dealing with a critter control company now, I'm not doing roof or attic work myself, no way. Hate heights, and no crawling through insulation.
I always thought the little red squirrels were cute and harmless, didn't know they would chew into my house! At least it's not raccoons as I first feared...
It's just more summer entertainment; who needs dinners out and movies/
Mary

Last edited:
Nothing more than usual at the coop and bar, and no rats noticed either place.
I do have unexpected guests in our attic; mice and red squirrels! Complete with three (!!!) openings chewed into the underside of the roof for easy access and egress! Dealing with a critter control company now, I'm not doing roof or attic work myself, no way. Hate heights, and no crawling through insulation.
I always thought the little red squirrels were cute and harmless, didn't know they would chew into my house! At least it's not raccoons as I first feared...
It's just more summer entertainment; who needs dinners out and movies/
Mary
Wow, I wouldn't want to have to deal with a chewed on house either. That can get expensive. We don't get too many squirrels because my 6 dogs like squirrels too. Most decide our yard isn't such a good place for them after a bit. If that's not a good enough reason, than my husband likes squirrel too. :)

I have more mice around my place than ever before! I think my count is around 30 mice that I have caught in traps.

That is not counting chipmunks! They are EVERYWHERE!
I have shot quite a few. I took care of my squirrel problem last year but I still let a few hang around. And I mean a FEW.

Sorry if this upsets people but we just have too many rodents. Luckily I haven't seen many rats. Last time I remember seeing one on my property was about 1 year ago and it was hiding under my tool shed. But I suppose they are around at night and I just don't see them. Eek!

My neighbor is having a problem with ground hogs in their gardens so I'm hoping they won't come to mine! I just planted it under a week ago. (And the reason I'm worried is because I transplanted a few small peas, radishes, and green beans so they would make a perfect snack for him. The other stuff is just seeds in the ground.....right now.)

My outdoor rabbit used to play in the garden before it was planted and while I was planting last week he nibbled on two of my peas! Oh well. LOL Now I keep him out of the garden and he has his own play area!

I still enjoy the ground squirrels/ chipmunks, and do have too many ground hogs. Way too many, living under the barn (not bar!) and very difficult to trap. I don't have the time or desire to wait to see them and shoot, but would be delighted to get them that way.
Mary

I remember a few year I trapped a ground hog in a have-a-heart trap and relocated him a few miles away. Dumb me. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom