Rogue rooster

diana_of_the_dunes

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
St. Joseph County, IN
I live in a somewhat rural area, and chickens are growing more common. I've had mine for about 2 years now, and they have always free-ranged. Our yard is only half an acre, but our neighbors don't have a problem with our quiet birds. We added a rooster in the fall, and while he does crow, he is a surprisingly quiet guy.

Until recently. The other day, I noticed I was hearing a LOT of crowing. Not wanting him to become an annoyance to the neighbors, I followed the noise and went to find him. Instead, I found someone else's rooster! He was alone, and crowing over and over and over. My rooster was nowhere to be found, though the girls came when I called them. He showed up that night.

Today, I hear more crowing, so I go out to see what the ruckus is. And this rogue rooster is in my yard! I chased him off with a broom, but in the meantime he started fighting with my rooster. A few minutes later, he had circled back around and was looking to pick another fight. This time I got my dog to help with the chase (he was a bit confused, as he has been taught to leave the birds alone, but the rooster didn't know that!), and I think we shooed him off for a while. I know this is only a temporary solution, though, as they seem to be in a territory dispute.

What can I do? I have no idea where this rooster came from, but he doesn't seem to have any hens. Would a fenced chicken yard help? I like to free-range my birds, but not at the expense of their safety.

Well, that is a tough one.
Maybe try to catch him? I could suggest the ol corn under a crate trick? Or try and follow him in the evening and see were he roosts.
That is a tough one I never had to deal with a rouge chicken lol who knows he could be a neighbors that comes for a visit if so it makes the problem a lil easier (if the neighbor is neighborly)

Owing to how domestic chicken social structure works, when a rooster from outside comes to claim your flock of hens and / or challenge your rooster, only your rooster can convince him otherwise which may not work out the way you want. Since it is your property, the rooster from outside can be treated like a free-roaming dog or feral livestock, so you can do as you deem fit. If he is not what you want interacting with your hens or poses and unacceptable risk to rooster, then do it. Catch and get rid of, dispatch and eat, keep and breed, or pen in location where he will not fight with your rooster.

So he will try to claim the hens? I thought so... Grrr.

I had considered dispatching the rogue rooster, since he is causing problems. But, I feel an obligation first to try to find out where he has come from. Since I free-range my chickens, it's what I would want someone to do if one of my birds was causing a problem. I'm going to check with the 3 people who I know have chickens, and if he doesn't belong to them... I think he's going to go to freezer camp. He was back hanging around the yard when I left for work this afternoon, so I don't see him suddenly losing interest.
hmm.png

I suggest that you capture him and cage him. Once he is no longer harassing your flock, you can take the time to try to find out where he comes from.

Be aware if he belongs to a neighbor who free ranges and you return him, he is most likely to return to your place, where he has decided he can set himself up as king.

It is also possible that he has been dumped off. Someone took their problem rooster "out to the country to live on a farm" and you are the lucky winning farm.

When I said rural area, I was referring more to the general mindset of the folks out here than actual geographic location. I'm surrounded by a mix of hillbies and homesteading types, but we're in sort of a suburban setting. The area used to be a really small town, but about 20 years ago all the businesses and post office packed up and left. So we all have small-ish lots (though larger than city lots, usually from .25 - 1 acre), then farms on the outskirts. I'd say the population in the immediate area is about 400 people, but we're only 4 miles from a city of 115K+. That said, it's not out of the question than someone dumped a rooster out here, since there are farms nearby as well as several folks with backyard birds.

Regardless of how we decide to handle this, I'm going to keep my birds penned up tomorrow. I tried to shoo everyone into the run today, but they were all freaked out by the intruder and, well, let's face it... Chickens aren't the brightest animals to start with!
tongue.png

put corn in a live trap. I've caught plenty of chickens on accident; I've even used it to catch bunnies that escaped

Back
Top Bottom