Ronin's Flock

danceswithronin

Crowing
May 24, 2018
Alabama
I just got a new flock of baby chicks that was hatched on June 2nd, so I'm setting up this little thread so I can do some week by week photo shoots of them and generally keep up with their shenanigans as they get bigger.

Without further ado, here's the crew in their "We Survived Week One And All We Got Was This Lousy Photo Shoot" portraits:

Maverick Week 1.jpg

Maverick Week 1B.jpg

Maverick. Suspected Black Copper Marans pullet. Second in command. Already looking for ways to fly the brooder.

Goose Week 1.jpg

Goose Week 1B.jpg

Goose. Suspected Blue Cuckoo Marans pullet and leader of the pack. Biggest chick by far. She chonky. (She also reminds me of the pink baby dinosaur from that nineties TV show Dinosaurs for some reason.)

Jet Week 1.jpg

Jet Week 1B.jpg

Jet. Suspected Olive Egger pullet. One of the more cautious members of the crew.

Riley Week 1B.jpg

Riley Week 1.jpg

Riley. Suspected Easter Egger/Olive Egger/some kind of bearded egger pullet. Everybody likes Riley and Riley likes everybody.

Demi Week 1.jpg

Demi Week 1B.jpg

Demi. Bantam mottled cochin and the second-smallest chick in the flock. Definitely the "slowest" bird.

Lola Week 1.jpg

Lola. Buff silkie who gets very insecure when she's separated from the group. Putting on some serious floof.

Luna Week 1.jpg

Luna. White silkie with a serious chip on what I am suspecting is his shoulder. Yells constantly for no apparent reason that I can tell but seems very self-important about it.

Attachments

• Riley Week 1B.jpg
    Riley Week 1B.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1
We are well into Week 2 and the chicks have officially reached their Awkward Teenage Weeks.

Took some photos so I can shame them later when they're older.

St Fu Week 2 A.jpg

St Fu Week 2 B.jpg

Luna was renamed to St. Fu (Saint Fu). Aka STFU. Because he/she never, ever shuts up. Ever. St. Fu is the smallest chick in the flock by far and hasn't put on much size since Week 1, which kind of worries me a little since the chick is also so loud. But I'm keeping an eye on St. Fu, and they are a bantam so he/she might just be the tiniest of the tiny. My teacup silkie.

Lola Week 2 A.jpg

Lola week 2 B.jpg

Lola is my other silkie chick and she very much dislikes being separated from the group still. Twice the size of St. Fu. Her general reaction to being handled is disgruntlement.

Demi Week 2 A.jpg

Demi Week 2 B.jpg

Demi Week 2 C.jpg

Demi doing her best turkey poult impression. She's starting to develop a clownish personality, really sweet bird.

Riley Week 2 A.jpg

Oh Riley. Riley is so awkward. Just look at that tail. The most feathered out of all the chicks so far though. No idea what color/pattern this chick is going to be since it's some kind of colored egger breed.

Goose Week 2 C.jpg

Goose Week 2 D.jpg

Goose Week 2 B.jpg

Goose doing her best goose impression. Huge chick but not very feathered yet at all. I was hoping keeping them indoors in the A/C would cause them to feather out a bit quicker so I could transition them outdoors.

Maverick Week 2 A.jpg

Maverick Week 2 B.jpg

Maverick is pretty feathered like Riley, starting to look really scruffy. This pic was taken right before she promptly flew back into the brooder.

Jet Week 2 A.jpg

I think out of all the chicks Jet has had the best Week 1 to Week 2 glow-up. I'm also starting to see some pattern on her wings when I thought she would be an all-black chicken, so that's kind of exciting. I'm interested to see what all of them look like a week from now.

Attachments

• Riley Week 2 B.jpg
    Riley Week 2 B.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Week 3 photos! They are getting big so fast, if we didn't have bad storms rolling in I'd say it's almost time for them to go outside.

Demi Week 3.jpg

Demi Week 3B.jpg

Demi. So sweet. I'm hoping the complete lack of pink in the comb is a good sign, keeping my fingers crossed since Demi is part of my straight run.

Goose Week 3.jpg

Goose Week 3B.jpg

Goose. My guess that Goose is a Blue Cuckoo Marans is looking like a good one.

Jet Week 3.jpg

Jet Week 3B.jpg

Jet, who is ironically not looking all that black these days. Not sure how this brown pattern is gonna turn out. Definitely Easter Egger vibes though.

Lola Week 3.jpg

Lola week 3C.jpg

Lola. Still one of the most shy chicks in the flock. She's starting to look really pretty though.

Maverick Week 3.jpg

Maverick Week 3B.jpg

Maverick the Black Copper Marans. Flightiest bird in the flock and tries flying constantly. Hates being held. Would only let me take a photo if I let her sit on the ground.

Riley Week 3.jpg

Riley Week 3B.jpg

Riley and her one solitary white feather. That beard though.

St. Fu Week 3.jpg

St. Fu. Looks the same size as they were last week, I'm starting to get a little concerned how behind he/she is getting compared to everyone else. But the chick seems healthy and eats like a pig so as long as it isn't being actively bullied I'm gonna try a hands-off approach about it.

Back
Top Bottom