Roo Attack... Solution on page 4!!

Well after seeing the picture of the scratch I see you were very lucky, I was expecting a big gash but I still would not take any chances.
Now that you know what he is capable of and you have gone to a hospital for medical attention its on record, if that rooster ever attacks one of your kids and you have to take them in for medical attention you will have big time problems.
You have gotten alot of good advice, mostly anyway, on this thread I hope you decide to take it.

I'm very glad you weren't hurt worse than you were, and I really won't offer you any advice. There has been some very good advice given already on this thread, and I'm sure you will decide what's best for you to do.

My Dad had a rooster that spurred my youngest daughter and left a nasty hole in her leg.
somad.gif
She's been terrified of roosters ever since, and that was over 20 years ago. The roo spurred my mother and she wound up in the hospital with a serious infection.
rant.gif
Dad thought it was hilarious - until it happened to him. They had chicken and dumplings that night.
D.gif

I consider myself very lucky. I have not one, but two roos with my little flock of 19 hens. I can't believe that they don't bother each other, considering they spend all day in the henhouse (our run isn't finished yet). One of the roos, the little black one, is actually my daughter's. He's sweet, gentle and quiet - just what she needed to get over her fear of roosters. We have no idea what breed he is. Don't really care. My roo is HUGE (husband named him Big Daddy!). He's a very powerful roo- you can tell just from looking at him. He's an RIR cross, we think. He's a real gentleman - both to his ladies and to us. He loves to talk to us when we come close and he's never shown any aggression at all - except to my little dog. That's allowed - the little pest needed to learn to leave the hens alone, and Big Daddy didn't hurt him at all - just put scared the bejebers out of him.
lau.gif

I say eat him. You don't want another injury and you don't want the bad genes passed down to anyone. Think of him like a biting dog. You would have to ut down a dog that was a threat to people.Our neighbors have one that needs to go. nothing stops him, not a boot or a stick or a 2x4. I am sorry though.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more--and I had to dispatch 2 of my first 4 chickens!
hit.gif
There are soo many wonderful roos out there that really deserve a good home and a flock. This guy sounds nasty, and I predict that you will soon be VERY tired of him, if he doesn't hurt you again. Find a neighbor to dispatch him, and get yourself a good one.

Last edited:
Quote:
I disagree. I think this antagonizes them. The rooster is attacking because he either sees you as a threat or competition. I think a lot could be learned from other animal training techniques. For instance, ignoring bad behavior and reinforcing good behavior. Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor is a great book on this subject. When my rooster first went at me I did boot him - and held a food container in front of him. It antagonized him and he kept attacking until he was so tired he was gasping for air. Then I tried the other technique - ignoring his attack. We are totally cool now because I am not a threat, and I don't act like another rooster (fight) nor submit. I can literally go in there now and pick him up, walk by him and go about my business with no bad interaction.

Quote:
Don't tell them that. Tell them you got it in a drunken knive brawl at the bar and you don't want to talk about it. Then walk away.

I have a JG roo that I watch closely. When he used to get naughty, I would say, "tell it to the shoe," and boot him. It's kind of funny because now I can go up to him and say it, and he dances around like he is challenging my foot. My best defence is a long PVC pole that I call the Staff of Power. He know that I spank him with it so he will steer clear of anybody holding it.

Woke up this morning infected in both my left eye and my sinuses... I'll be on antibiotics for the next 10 days both drops and pill form... I've already decided the roosters fate... he isn't a pet to me, never was really. I thought he was pretty and he took care of my girls, but if this had happened to my 3 year old the rooster would have been processed Tuesday when the injury occured. Since it happened to me he'll be processed this weekend and I'm going to donate him to a needy family in the neighborhood.
Thanks everyone for your input. Keep my eyeball in your thoughts will ya... I'm kind of worried about it.

So sorry to hear that. My doc told me Monday that infection that springs up immediately is easier to cure than one that takes a while to appear. My infected hand is doing VERY well and I am not concerned about it tho I will finish the meds. I will say my index finger area felt strange within about an hour or two of being scratched. I've been around animals all my life and never had such an immediate infectious response to an injury. Who knows what germs lurk in the feet of chickens!
And Blue has been behaving himself towards me.
I have a great recipe for chicken pot pie if you need it!

they'reHISchickens :

Who knows what germs lurk in the feet of chickens!

I'd venture a guess... I mean they really have no regard for their own poop
lol.png

My husband gave Godzilla to a neighbor who has been struggling with unemployment. I just went and checked the coop and it was nice to not have to worry about my back.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom