Roo attacked me!

I had Dominique rooster that did nail me in the face while I was bend over to put my silkie rooster back in the pen. weeks prior to that he threatened. He was bad at catching me with my back turned and come up running then stopped as I turned around. He was good eating

I agree that a mean rooster is only good for one thing. Put him in the crock pot. That being said, there are a number of things I won't do in a rooster's presence: squat down and handle one of his girls while I'm squatting down. I won't walk around a rooster. I won't hand feed a rooster. I will encourage every one who enters my yard to "walk through" my rooster. Basically, that means to purposefully walk where ever the rooster happens to be standing, and continue to walk where ever he decides to stand, even if you and he end up going in circles for a couple of minutes. I won't allow my rooster to breed the girls in front of me, and I won't allow him to chase the girls away from the treats.

Well...he attacked me again today and he attacked my two leghorns about 6 or 7 times while I was picking my garden. He is now dead and being prepared to eat for supper tomorrow. I'll let you know how he tastes!

Use some sugar in the pot -remember "Revenge is a dish best served sweet!" Well, that was kinda tacky of me, I guess. I know it's hard to raise them and then have it come down to that, but there are so many sweet Roos out there that there's no point putting yourself, your family, and your hens through that.

Go out and bring a broom if he tries anything scoop him away with the broom till he stops if his behavior continues eat him
If you have to resort to kicking a rooster, or hitting it with things, you've already lost control, and the rooster needs to be put down.

You want to be outside the pecking order, not at the top of it. A rooster's job is to be the top of the pecking order - if hes not there, hes going to spend every bit of his energy trying to get there.

Well I now that if he's getting after me I know that I lost control of him but sometimes even the most well mannered rooster can get a little big for his britches and it might need a little reinforcement that your in charge his repeated actions means he's no good

My rooster was like that for the first few months after I got him. The way I see it is, that is what roosters do. I calmed mine down by holding it--they don't fight or bite me when I'm grabbing them, they are too scared. However, I don't have small children, and if I did, the rooster would have been shot or clubbed the first time it happened. My fellow is working out good now though, he respects me as top dog (err rooster), but I did have to kick the stuffing out of him a few times. We're actually kind of pals now, but I don't let my guard down.

Back
Top Bottom