Roo behavior

rookea

Chirping
13 Years
May 21, 2010
I have 2 Roos, 16 hens that are 11 months. They free range all day, closed up tight at night. The EE is gentle with people and the dominant roo, rough when breeding hens and chases several to the point they are afraid. He's beautiful and I would like at least one clutch of eggs out of him to hatch. Feathers gone from heads and backs of 5 or 6 hens. 2-3 are terrified and skinny. The Wyandotte roo is aggressive toward people. He's leaving this weekend. My question(s): 1) should the EE roo calm down, be less aggressive to hens when other rooster leaves?
2) would separating the EE rooster for a period of time possibly help him be less rough on the hens when return him to general population?
My Roos are good protectors so I'm worried about not having one with the hens since they free range. Thanks in advance!!
[/IMG]

welcome-byc.gif

When a rooster is rough to the point where a hen actively hides from him, I've never had him get better with age. They're just jerks. I'd cull both the roosters and start over, with a younger cockerel maybe that your hens can teach manners to.

I've never really had a rooster be a "protector", in that he'll sacrifice himself. Others here have, but not me. Mine give warning calls and keep a good eye out, but they'll retreat just as fast as the hens when danger presents itself. If there's no rooster out, one of the hens keeps watch just as well.

Good to know!! I may selectively breed him and once I have some chicks then cull him and keep one of his offspring and hope his over zealousness doesn't get passed down. Interesting about not having a rooster. My Wyandotte roo will attack dogs and even flogged my big donkey that was chasing the chickens for fun. I'm bummed, he watched out for predators and the EE always kept the hens together and if one strayed he would go chase he back with the others. I'm just really concerned about the hens not having either of them. Thank you for your help!!!

My dual rooster experience is a little different. My lead rooster was a pansy but the hens liked him. The young rooster was fast and rough, he had to be or the dominate would push him off. I rehomed my lead rooster because he was not putting out the quality offspring I was looking for. The backup roo who used to be rough and had hens running and hiding from him, did an about face. He kept the hens rounded up and together. If even a chick peeped he was running around trying to figure out why. He went from a docile in my lap guy to trying to get me when he found me stealing eggs. The hens accepted him after a few weeks, they did not really have a choice since he was the only mature rooster. He got more gentle with the hens and did not try to over breed them.

I think when you have 2 or more roosters they have to be rough and quick to get their chance of breeding. If the hens have a choice, they do not care for that.. But when the rooster looses the pressure of competition for the hens affections I think they change.

I am going to give him a chance to be more gentle with the hens but will keep a close watch! Thank you for your feedback.

Bobbie-j, I may end up doing that. But I'm gonna give him one more chance when he's got the flu clean to himself

He might calm down when the other is gone......crap shoot.

If you insist on trying it, I'd only give him a week or two....
.....if he doesn't calm down, get rid of him and don't hatch any of his eggs, aggression can be inheritable.

aart - yikes! He's so beautiful I wanted some of his offspring. But will probably only keep the hens and maybe one rooster to TRY.

aart - yikes! He's so beautiful I wanted some of his offspring. But will probably only keep the hens and maybe one rooster to TRY.
All the cock/erels are beautiful.......but like mama used to say 'pretty is as pretty does'.

I've seen some ghastly behavior from my mellow fellow cockbird when there were other males around....
...but he calmed right back down(like immediately) after removing the other males.

Multiple males can create an environment of competition where none of them are on their best behavior.

Back
Top Bottom