Roo fighting already in chicks 2-3 weeks old?

MichiganWoods

DD (Artistic Digital Diva)
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
I might have to give a few of the Ideal Hatchery baby roos away if they keep it up. It's like they're doing some sort of weird dance when they go at each other. Is that normal for them to start so young? I know right now I've got too many roos in my population... I've got 25 chicks. 6 are confirmed roos from Ideal Hatchery (8 confirmed hens). I think I've got at least 3 roos from the 12 I hatched, one Rhode Island White in particular. He's always challenging/dancing with the other roos.

I'm probably gonna part with 4 of the Ideal Hatchery roos for now. I might have to part with a few more later, or they will end up as dinner if they fight enough to bloody up my other chickens.

It is normal for them to chest bump and play fight at a young age. Both pullets and roos will do it - at that age fighting isn't neccesarily an indication of sex. I have an EE that was trying to chest bump with a grown roo at 2 weeks old and SHE will still take on some of the roos (at 22 weeks old)

Are they chest bumping like drunken men at a Super Bowl party? If so, this is normal. I think it is too funny to watch them. Then when they find their wings they fly up and do it. CUTE!

boys will be boys
lol.png

They are doing the chest bump thing. It is sort of cute.
smile.png
I just wanted to make sure that they weren't starting to hurt each other. Guess they will all stick around until spring, or until I can really truly identify them.

I gave them live crickets today... woo... 60 live crickets devoured in under 5 minutes!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom