Roo gone...flock disoriented

Flycropper

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Central Arkansas
I nam new to raising chickens. I had 11 chickens and was hoping that most of them would be hens. 4 are turing into roos. I had one roo that at 9 weeks old was a lot bigger than the others. He was a eating and pooping machine; plus, he was getting pretty agressive. I culled him out yesterday smoked him on the grill for Memorial Day.

It's interesting b/c now the other 4 roos and 6 pullets are reluctant to go outside the coop into the run. It's like they are lost. It's an interesting phenomenon to watch them re-orient themselves. Anyone seen anything like this before?

It happens but it won't last long. Tomorrow will start a new phase without him and they WILL go on!
By weeks end it will be like he never existed!

I hope he was tasty...I've got a few coming on I'm going ot have to smoke too!

I just had to cull my rooster out Sunday. He is in the frezzer right now waiting to be put into homemade chicken noodle soup. My mom asked he he was doing when she called last night and I told her what happened. And she made me feel as though I murdered my best friend. She siad she couldn't have done and she couldn't believe I was able to do it. My DH told me I had nothing to be ashamed of because I was doing the right thing. If any of my chicks grew to be roosters they wouldn't be able to stay so they were going to be culled and used for food. My mother knew this and yet she acted like I was the worst person right then.
hit.gif

Hey Migo and Chickenwhisperer, Thanks! My mother acted the same way. I have a few other roos but I'll give all but one of them away. It will take them longer to grow big enough to be butchered. I don't want to keep a bunch of roos around.

Ebonikawai: don't try to make feel stupid. Just asking a question. This is my first attempt at raising chickens. They are less then 11 weeks old. I was surprised that at such a young age pullets and cockrels had established such a dependence on each other. I would not have been surprised to see this had they been adults. Live and learn.

chiknwhisperer: I have a ton more respect for someone who kills and eats their own chicken than for those who think it is wrong but still go to KFC. I wish I could process my own chickens, but I think I will have to take them to a processor. I just can't do it, so I really respect those that can.

Flycropper: Congrats on doing the responsible thing and dealing with the situation and not just handing over the roo for someone else to deal with.
I hope he is tasty- did you really smoke him or just grill him? I really want to try smoking; I love smoked meat.

well this is my thoughts killing a chicken to eat is fine but what i disagree on is when people get them as babies then find out there roos and go and kill them. not fair to the poor chicken he did not ask to be a rooster..give the poor guy a chance at life..

Stupid question, how old are roos when you cull them without being "stringy"?
I have to laugh at DH, his love for poultry on the dinner table has declined since we began raising chickens! lol.
No one here will eat anything that had a name...so I had to give 5 roosters away!
I just gave my 5 boy away and the girls have just gone wild. They no longer stay home, they are off through the woods and quite unruley (ha hah ha...if it wasn't for the hens, I'd get no exercise!)
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom