Roo has saliva only when eating

Apvu22

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2020
Arizona
I recently noticed my 8 month old roo have saliva whenever he eats. This only occurs when he eat so there is excess saliva and he can’t eat the food. I don’t think it’s a crop issue, because the previous day he did eat some and when I felt his crop on the morning it was empty. In his mouth I did see sort of a white patch on the side of his mouth not sure what that is. He also isn’t wheezing of anything and acts normal. Please someone help, the vets around me don’t see any chickens so that isn’t an option.

If you could look inside his beak and throat with a light while someone holds his head, to see if there is any yellow or white material or canker in there. Whitish plaques might be a yeast or fungal infection, while yellow gunk can be canker, a protozoan infection. Smell his breath for any bad odor.

If you are located in a warm environment with mosquitoes and fowl pox, it also could be wet fowl pox, a more dangerous type of pox.

I
If you could look inside his beak and throat with a light while someone holds his head, to see if there is any yellow or white material or canker in there. Whitish plaques might be a yeast or fungal infection, while yellow gunk can be canker, a protozoan infection. Smell his breath for any bad odor.

If you are located in a warm environment with mosquitoes and fowl pox, it also could be wet fowl pox, a more dangerous type of pox.
don’t see anything down his throat but there was this whiteish sore on the side of his mouth.
714D1227-443B-4CC6-8658-DF7C43805E9A.jpeg

I have him bread and he eats that just fine with out saliva, maybe because the bread is soft and doesn’t bother the sore? I’m not sure but soft foods he eats perfectly fine

I’m not sure but soft foods he eats perfectly fine
Then moisten your feed to make a mash... only the amount eaten daily to prevent spoilage and waste.

A video of him eating might help clue us in.

Please add your general location to your profile so folks can make their best suggestions at a glance. ;)

Don't feed bread.. it won't benefit him and may actually cause MORE issues. What are you feeding? A whole body pic might also give clues. Hope he's fine and you're just extra cautious! :fl

Is he staying with the flock or showing any lethargy?

Then moisten your feed to make a mash... only the amount eaten daily to prevent spoilage and waste.

Please add your general location to your profile so folks can make their best suggestions at a glance. ;)

Don't feed bread.. it won't benefit him and may actually cause MORE issues. What are you feeding? A whole body pic might also give clues. Hope he's fine and you're just extra cautious! :fl

He doesn’t seem to be lethargic at all and I have been feeding him general scratch feed I did put water and made it into a mash and he eats that fine without any saliva coming out. And he is an asil I think or an asil cross. Located in AZ so warmer weather. His breath did smell a couple days back kinda sour but yesterday he ate a little had a full crop and this morning his crop was empty.
77AE7802-3FBE-476B-AB5F-71C090E7CD9B.jpeg

I have been feeding him general scratch feed I
Scratch feed is meant as a treat or enrichment and NOT as a sole ration.. he will likely be suffering from nutritional deficit... specifically maybe protein and amino acids In addition to maybe some vitamins or minerals. These are the building block to life.

All though free ranging helps combat this issue.. I can see you ground is fairly barren of plant life and would suspect the same to be true about bug life. Adding a piece of cardboard or plywood, watering nicely and let sit for a few days tends to bring bugs and worms under the board right at the surface. My birds love following me around and I move those things exposing the goodies... this worked when I lived int he desert as well.

I HIGHLY recommend you get a formulated ration... either a grower or flock raiser... even a starter would be okay... anything with 16-22% protein... (scratch is usually around 8% protein, depending on which type). Any feed labeled as a SOLE ration that doesn't have over 3% calcium (preferably closer to 1%) This essentially leads to reduced immunity towards ALL things in life.

Sounds like he started a sour crop that passed.. you did well by checking that first!

If you aren't able to get a formulated ration or choose not to for whatever reason... please consider supplementing on occasion with something like Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell (product).

Since wetting the feed seems to help what you are concerned about... it will also help him stay hydrated in the heat... We technically kind of keep our animals in a constant state of dehydration by our dry feeds... which we use out of convenience for storage longevity and shipping etc. What I really wanted to see was a video of the drooling when eating more than normal eating. But great job getting the video posted quickly!

If you make the switch of feeds... I can promise you will see an overall improvement in his health, feather quality, and so much more!

Does he have any friends? Or are ya thinking about getting him some?

I have honestly never YET... in 10+ years of keeping and actively breeding chickens... seen a bird drool that wasn't either having crop/gizzard issues or on deaths door. But I do learn something (and see new things) every single day.

Hope this helps some, and he thrives fully! :fl

ETA: sores could be a side effect of poor immunity due to undernourishment.

I agree that a balanced complete feed, such as FlockRaiser would be good for him. Scratch has only about 7% protein (compared ro 20% for FR,) and little of the nutrition, vitamins, and minerals.

The white inside his beak and on his tongue might be fungus (candida, a yeast.) or it could be canker if it smells bad. Canker is treated with metronidazole (Fish Zole available online) and a fungal disease would be treated with Medistatin (nystatin,) or some antifugal cream, such as miconazole or clotrimazole. You can buy Fish Zole online here and dosage is 250 mg daily for 5-7 days:
https://www.allivet.com/p-2393-fish...OjkFp2-dLtixOA6qGuOI9SraSkkI07q4aAmYQEALw_wcB
A vet could help decide if it is fungus or canker. Canker is spread by pigeons.

Scratch feed is meant as a treat or enrichment and NOT as a sole ration.. he will likely be suffering from nutritional deficit... specifically maybe protein and amino acids In addition to maybe some vitamins or minerals. These are the building block to life.

All though free ranging helps combat this issue.. I can see you ground is fairly barren of plant life and would suspect the same to be true about bug life. Adding a piece of cardboard or plywood, watering nicely and let sit for a few days tends to bring bugs and worms under the board right at the surface. My birds love following me around and I move those things exposing the goodies... this worked when I lived int he desert as well.

I HIGHLY recommend you get a formulated ration... either a grower or flock raiser... even a starter would be okay... anything with 16-22% protein... (scratch is usually around 8% protein, depending on which type). Any feed labeled as a SOLE ration that doesn't have over 3% calcium (preferably closer to 1%) This essentially leads to reduced immunity towards ALL things in life.

Sounds like he started a sour crop that passed.. you did well by checking that first!

If you aren't able to get a formulated ration or choose not to for whatever reason... please consider supplementing on occasion with something like Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell (product).

Since wetting the feed seems to help what you are concerned about... it will also help him stay hydrated in the heat... We technically kind of keep our animals in a constant state of dehydration by our dry feeds... which we use out of convenience for storage longevity and shipping etc. What I really wanted to see was a video of the drooling when eating more than normal eating. But great job getting the video posted quickly!

If you make the switch of feeds... I can promise you will see an overall improvement in his health, feather quality, and so much more!

I have honestly never YET... in 10+ years of keeping and actively breeding chickens... seen a bird drool that wasn't either having crop/gizzard issues or on deaths door. But I do learn something (and see new things) every single day.

Thank you so so much for this very informative reply I have been only raising chickens for less than a year so any advice helps! I will switch feeds to immediately as well as continue to monitor him. He does have friends. A silkie hen and a Dominique hen. They seem fine it is only him who seek to have some saliva when eating. Thank you a million for your advice. I will head to the feed store now to find good feed.

Back
Top Bottom