Roo is acting weird PLZ HELP! *UPDATED* again

kittykittykitty

Luvin My Chickies
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
an egg
My EE roo is keeping his beak open for LONG periods of time, like days. And his wings are drooping a lot. My BO is doing the same thing, except she has this raspy, hoarse cluck and is eating next to nothing and drinking constantly. Is there something wrong with them????

98815_sadie_sadie_sadiea_002.jpg

98815_sadie_sadie_sadiea_001.jpg

Last edited:
Has it been super hot lately where you live? If so then they are panting which means its hot out and there hot. They droop the feathers cause it's hot too.

<3ChickenForever :

Has it been super hot lately where you live? If so then they are panting which means its hot out and there hot. They droop the feathers cause it's hot too.

It's only been in the late 80s where I live.​

Sometimes one or two of my birds will get sick, and when they breath it will sound "raspy" when they inhale and exhale. I just put them on LS-50 (the generic stuff is cheaper and works just as well) for 7 days. After the first 2-3 it usually clears up, but you have to keep them on it the whole 7 days. you mix a teaspoon to a gallon of water. Hope this helps. Matthew

Quote:
It's only been in the late 80s where I live.

Late 80's? Like near 90? Are there any other symptoms? If they are acting normal other than the beak open and wings out (held slightly away from the body to provide a draft along the "armpit" area. I would say they are panting and hot. Now, if they are acting sick, heads down ruffled, hunched, and wings drooping (looks like they are just too tired to hold their wings up so they just hang there next to them close to the body) then I would worry.

They are drooping their wings and panting a lot. I put some ice cubes in their water and 3 out of 4 REFUSE to drink. I am starting to SERIOUSLY worry that they are seriously dehydrated. I'm also worried that they might die of heat stroke or something! Do you know anything that will make them cool down????

ANYONE???????????????????????????????????

Last edited:
Quote:
You can give them cold watermelon or anything cold really that they can eat. Put a fan in their coop to keep them cooled at night or during the day too.

I gave them some grapes that i stuck in the freezer for a little bit. I couldn't find a fan that would fit in their run or coop
hu.gif

I don't know what to do now. They are still panting and are now seeming lethargic.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well try to find anything that will cool them down! Good luck! It happens a lot... well it happened a lot during the summer with my chickens because it was always hot!

<3ChickenForever :

Quote:
Well try to find anything that will cool them down! Good luck! It happens a lot... well it happened a lot during the summer with my chickens because it was always hot!

OK *sighs* I'll try everything I can think of. The temp has gone up at least 5 degrees since I posted this thread.​

Back
Top Bottom