roo needs to be a yard chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by siamshirl, Jul 18, 2007.

1. siamshirl

siamshirl Cooped Up

Jul 18, 2007
    tupelo mississippi
    roo needs to be yard chicken with his 2 females i want to put them in the yard hes pretty big and about 4 months old or older im worried about the dogs my nieghbor has his dog killed my last three that where 3 months old will this happen again there not that tame either will that make a difference

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    If the nabors dog killed the last 3...it will come back to kill again. Do your chickens have a safe run? Maybe let them out when you are there to watch them.....be carefull.

3. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    If the dog has done killed 3, he will come back and kill the others. They need to be in a run.

4. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    It will make no difference at all that these are 4 months old, and the ones the dog killed are only 3 months old. No chicken, at any age, is a match for a chicken killing dog. Are you good friends with this neighbor? Do they know their dog killed your chickens? Do you have a .22 rifle you are handy with??? Perhaps you could assist your chickens by getting rid of the dog? Otherwise, they need a secure pen, if you want to save them. Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by