Roo Number 2

brittfish

Songster
6 Years
Oct 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I posted on an older discussion but didn't receive any responses so am hoping a new thread might be better.
We lost our first rooster in January and really liked how the flock acted with a rooster and eventually want babies so we searched and sound a buff orpington cross (we named Wyatt Orp:)) he is 1 day younger than our hens and seems to be a friendly guy. We got him last Tuesday and have him housed on the opposite side of our house alone as we want to make sure he is free of communicable disease. He seems good so far we've had him for 8 days.

Couple things... I know just watching for any outward appearance of illness is what we look for. He seems good no mites that I could tell or anything. Nice plummage. But anyone have any tips what to watch for. We can't wait to introduce him to the ladies he crows constantly not sure if he's lonely or just talkitive. Either way we don't mind but the neighbors would probably like it if he took a break.

After 30 days we are planning on setting him up outside our hen run to allow them to see but not touch for a couple days and plan to put him on the roost at night with them after that so they wake up together. Anyone have experience with this?

I also worry he's bored all alone. The ground is sand and he has structures he can get up on which he likes to crow from but any suggestions for stimuli for him? He's not big on snacks like my girls he pretty much free ranged where he was which now he is enclosed so that's probably stressful too. He came from a farm with 6 other roosters and was near the bottom of the order so at least he's not getting picked on but I just want to alleviate stress if I can. He's eating and drinking well and normal poop.

He's a handsome guy and we really want it to work out with him and his 11 ladies.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have things well in hand with your planning
thumbsup.gif

I'm not a huge fan of the "overnight introduction" as I like to actually be present for the initial bit of their interactions and am not too inclined to get "up with the chickens", so it's easier for me to introduce them physically during the day. This allows me to be sure I am there to intercede if it becomes necessary (I'm one to let them work things out until/unless serious injury is occurring).

As long as he is behaving normally (as he is now) I wouldn't worry too much about the boredom thing.

I have to say, I *love* his name - maybe you'll be so kind as to share a picture of your handsome new man?

A rooster in my experience is the easiest introduction. If he is the same age as your girls, he should be quite a bit bigger than they are, if they have had a rooster, they generally like a rooster.

I just introduced one a couple of weeks ago. I put him down in the run in a cage, while I went to get some feed. Thought I would let him out, when I got back down there. The moment he saw the girls, he got excited, and they were all agog. Must not have had the cage latched firmly, cause when I got back there, he was out strutting his stuff, and all the young girls were in love. My older hen took a bit more convincing, but they adore him.

I do like a rooster with the girls. Currently praying for a broody hen.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Cool thanks. I'm glad to hear that. So you think we don't need to let them see each other for a couple days because we are not exactly sure how we will do that but will if necessary. Was figuring that was more for a new hen. Didn't want to freak him out too much during the first week so we let him do his thing. Checked him this morning and he has little mites? Brownish tiny bugs haven't even had a chance to look up treatment options yet.

Here's Mr. Wyatt Orp his first day here. He is growing out his wing and tail feathers now must've been picked on at his previous home.

Right, just let him in with the hens straightaway. If you sometimes free range the hens, keep the hens locked up and let him dance around the coop before letting the hens out.

BTW his isolation will do wonders in getting him to forget about his previous low status and probably would be a lot more excited/confident than if he was introduced immediately at new home if he happens to have some timidity.

Be a good idea to treat all of your birds for mites, better safe than sorry.

Right, just let him in with the hens straightaway. If you sometimes free range the hens, keep the hens locked up and let him dance around the coop before letting the hens out.

BTW his isolation will do wonders in getting him to forget about his previous low status and probably would be a lot more excited/confident than if he was introduced immediately at new home if he happens to have some timidity.

Be a good idea to treat all of your birds for mites, better safe than sorry.

Thank you. That is a relief. Didn't know how we were gonna do the see but not touch thing. Going to move our coop this spring so we are going to wait to move it until his quarantine is up so that way maybe the hens will be more preoccupied.

*update * in case anyone is interested we moved our roo in with the girls a week ago and they are all very happy. We were moving our coop this spring so waited to do it the same day we introduced him. We had all the hens in the coop and let him out to explore the run first then let the hens out after a little less than an hour (also put a treat out figured anything to take the focus off the rooster was better) and it went awesome. Most of them challenged him but he is much bigger and just pinned a few down quickly and they walked away. Most just backed down after he stood tall. I'm so happy it went so smoothly and everyone is happy now the girls don't worry about keeping a look out all the time and Wyatt couldn't be happier to have 11 lovely ladies to himself. He's also so cute learning about yogurt and other treats he must be in heaven with all the food he can eat and treats too. So glad we rescued him :-D

Back
Top Bottom