Roo or Hen?

Based on comb size and coloring I also would bet on 2&3 being boys, but it’s very early yet, so I wouldn’t bet a lot:lol:. I had marked mine this spring at about That age what my guesses were and I was wrong on at least three of twelve.:th
Wrong in which way? Did they turn out to be hens or roosters?

Wrong in which way? Did they turn out to be hens or roosters?
Lol! Both!! It was for sure one that I was positive was a boy turned out to be a girl, one that I was positive was a girl turned out to be a boy, and I know there was at least one more wrong And I think it was one that I thought was boy was actually a girl. Of 12 chicks that I hatched only 4 were boys this round:eek: so I think the numbers game got me somewhat.

1. I say Plymouth because of the barring, unless they had other breeds in the Barred variety.
2. Has a rose comb so I believe part Wyandotte, probably part Cochin because of the feathered legs but this makes me think they have a barred Cochin cause this little ones barred :)
3+ some have rose combs like a Wyandotte, other are hard to see, I see no feathered leg so likely no Cochin in here, none of these chicks have beards so at the very least the parent birds have either no beard (like Cochin/Wyandotte or bad EE/OE) or the OE/EE parents only had one gene for beard and you got unlucky :/did you hatch them? Were any eggs blue/green/olive? I don't see any of the fun EE/OE colors or leakage although depending on which one the rooster was, black can be a pretty strong gene sometimes :D

I think those ones are probably cockerels due to comb size and redness :'(
Lots of breeds have rose combs.
There was a breed which had fluffy feet and Cuckoo pattern, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

Lol! Both!! It was for sure one that I was positive was a boy turned out to be a girl, one that I was positive was a girl turned out to be a boy, and I know there was at least one more wrong And I think it was one that I thought was boy was actually a girl. Of 12 chicks that I hatched only 4 were boys this round:eek: so I think the numbers game got me somewhat.
I got mine from a farm store. I am driving myself crazy trying to guess. I have all different breeds. I have one barred rock that got his comb and wattles early, so I was hoping he was the only rooster, but now I am not so sure. I have watched numerous videos showing how to tell the difference by comb, wattles, tail feathers, wing feathers, etc, but then they all look like roosters. My birds are 7.5 weeks old and most of them I still can’t tell. I have 29 birds. I am hoping not to have too many roosters as I don’t know what I will do with them.

I got mine from a farm store. I am driving myself crazy trying to guess. I have all different breeds. I have one barred rock that got his comb and wattles early, so I was hoping he was the only rooster, but now I am not so sure. I have watched numerous videos showing how to tell the difference by comb, wattles, tail feathers, wing feathers, etc, but then they all look like roosters. My birds are 7.5 weeks old and most of them I still can’t tell. I have 29 birds. I am hoping not to have too many roosters as I don’t know what I will do with them.
Well at 7.5 weeks you don’t have too much longer to wait to see for sure what they are. By 12 weeks it usually is pretty obvious. As for what to do with extra Roos: i send mine to freezer camp Where they learn how to become good table chickens.
Actually, I just butchered the extra boys that hatched this spring and it has really improved the dynamics of my flock- I had pullets that refused to leave the coop to forage that have now started to venture out since the extra boys are gone, a couple pullets started laying(yay even if that is just a coincidence) and the older hens actually picked up laying a bit. I think the extra boys were quite stressful even if there was no actual fighting happening.

Well at 7.5 weeks you don’t have too much longer to wait to see for sure what they are. By 12 weeks it usually is pretty obvious. As for what to do with extra Roos: i send mine to freezer camp Where they learn how to become good table chickens.
Actually, I just butchered the extra boys that hatched this spring and it has really improved the dynamics of my flock- I had pullets that refused to leave the coop to forage that have now started to venture out since the extra boys are gone, a couple pullets started laying(yay even if that is just a coincidence) and the older hens actually picked up laying a bit. I think the extra boys were quite stressful even if there was no actual fighting happening.
I keep hoping everyday I will know for sure. Some combs look a little bigger, some a little redder, I’m just not seeing wattles really.
I’m not good about killing what I have watched grow up. I did give a two away the last time I ended up with 4 roosters. The two I kept were great. I am a bit afraid that I my have more than that this time. No one wants extra roosters.

I keep hoping everyday I will know for sure. Some combs look a little bigger, some a little redder, I’m just not seeing wattles really.
I’m not good about killing what I have watched grow up. I did give a two away the last time I ended up with 4 roosters. The two I kept were great. I am a bit afraid that I my have more than that this time. No one wants extra roosters.

If you want to know the genders you can post photos of them.
I do want extra roosters lol. I always try and keep them. It's hard getting rid of them.

If you want to know the genders you can post photos of them.
I do want extra roosters lol. I always try and keep them. It's hard getting rid of them.
Here are a couple pictures.
35575A72-CF6B-40E2-AB3B-69103B8BDACC.jpeg
DCC0E502-267C-4DBE-88AA-40BA40A03F6C.jpeg
73BC3FF7-CBCC-4522-B1D9-5648F1F2A301.jpeg
4E0597FD-1F47-4A34-B85D-C7630F610E3E.jpeg

That was the smoothest hijacking of a thread that I've ever seen.:lau. Just poking fun, I really don't care. I do the same thing with my new flock. I'm 99.9% sure I have all pullets, but a couple of times, I think I talked myself into seeing all roosters. Patience is a pita. I'm not good at sexing so this was a useless post by me.

Back
Top Bottom