Roo or hen?

Fieldsfive

Chirping
Mar 26, 2021
Pacific NW
I need help determining if this Olive Egger is a hen or roo. We aren't allowed to keep roosters so I need to start searching for a good home if she is a "he." There is intense debate in our house as the tail seems like a hen but the comb is coming in reddish and strong. She has always been the alpha of 5 but can also be warm & fuzzy at times, to people & pullets.
Thanks for any tell tale advice!
20210510_163718.jpg
20210510_105002.jpg
20210510_163605.jpg

I need help determining if this Olive Egger is a hen or roo. We aren't allowed to keep roosters so I need to start searching for a good home if she is a "he." There is intense debate in our house as the tail seems like a hen but the comb is coming in reddish and strong. She has always been the alpha of 5 but can also be warm & fuzzy at times, to people & pullets.
View attachment 2662927View attachment 2662928View attachment 2662929
how old?

I would say a hen, it has more of a pea comb (little bumps not spikes) and the tail definitely looks like a hens tail. Especially if it's nice to pullets and not super outgoing and about the same size as the other chickens it's age. I don't really think the comb is the best way to tell, I had a rooster who didn't develop a comb for quite a long time but you could tell by the tail feathers.

I would say a hen, it has more of a pea comb (little bumps not spikes) and the tail definitely looks like a hens tail. Especially if it's nice to pullets and not super outgoing and about the same size as the other chickens it's age. I don't really think the comb is the best way to tell, I had a rooster who didn't develop a comb for quite a long time but you could tell by the tail feathers.
Good to hear- thank you. Fingers crossed on this. We are too attached!

View attachment 2662927View attachment 2662928View attachment 2662929
Looks like a hen. Very pretty bird!

Back
Top Bottom