Roo or Hen?

CountryHeart06

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
This is one of my 4 week old Buff Orpingtons. I posted on Facebook and got a couple responses but was hoping to get some more opinions as to whether she is a she or a he. Thanks!

Veer67

Songster
6 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Together with the flock
I would say rooster, the red wattles and large comb (even though it still looks yellowish) are a sure indicator.:)

You will definitely know in a few weeks.

Last edited:

dave3003102

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Besides wing and vent sexing a 4 week male chick will always feel hard in your palms. Their wings will be little harder then the female. You can just feel them in your hand.

CountryHeart06

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
This is Ethel my other Buff Orpington. The one I'm thinking is a roo is named Lucy but she may be a Louie ;-) As you can see Ethel has hardly any comb and no waddles appearing...

At what point do the roosters start crowing?

CountryHeart06

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
I wasn't worried about Ethel being a roo but someone wanted a comparison photo of another of my buff orps. Because they look so different I thought the first chick I posted pics of was probably a roo. Now that you have a comparison anyone else want to chime in? I sent an email to the lady I purchased them from since she guaranteed pullets. It's gonna be sad to see him go if he is a roo but we can't have them where I'm located, he is such a sweet guy but I know he will have a wonderful home on this farm!

Top Bottom