roo or hen?

wait, the color doesn't matter. and actually Enola is correct.
th.gif

So then why does its tail feathers stick up loke the other hens and the rooster's tail feathers swoop down? They are the same age and they have been like that the whole 4 weeks I've had them. And only the one I have already ID'd as rooster has started crowing.

Last edited:
wait, the color doesn't matter. and actually Enola is correct.:th
I had read that usually the males will have a lighter color than the females. This may not have been true for every breed though and I didnt know if this would be pertinent information or not.

I had read that usually the males will have a lighter color than the females. This may not have been true for every breed though and I didnt know if this would be pertinent information or not.
This is true for pure barred birds. When you cross a barred bird with a non-barred bird, you can no longer go by that rule.

I agree that's a rooster. Why he looks different is why one of my sons was 5' 10" and 180lbs at 13 years old, and my other is 5' 5" and 120lbs. Everyone develops differently.

Do you know which parent was the Dominique? Just wondering if it was a sex link cross. If you're getting a bird with a barred parent, always good to ask if you don't know the gender of the offspring. A barred hen under a non-barred rooster will have barred male chicks.

Is this a rooster or a hen? I have a rooster that looks similar but is whiter, his legs are thicker, and his tail turns down. This ones legs are as thin as my buff orpingtons and its tail feathers point up like the others that I know are hens. also, the roo and this one are the same age and the roo's comb is significantly larger. Would like some opinions please.
There's absolutely no doubt that this is a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom