Roo or Hen???

CityGirlFlock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
New Jersey
Hello Flock People!!
First time Mother Hen here. Five weeks ago I received my order of 10 chicks. I ordered 1 each of the following: Australorp, Light Brahma, Black Jersey Giant, Light Brown Leghorn, White Leghorn, Buff Orpington, RIR, Speckled Sussex and Golden Laced Wyandotte (9 hens in total). I also ordered a Welsummer rooster. I think I may have received two roosters and I'm not sure which breed they are. I posted pics before and I'm pretty sure the first one is a rooster but I'm not sure if it's the Welsummer. And I'm not sure about the second one. I'm hoping those of you with more experience may be able to identify them and whether they're roos?

Thanks in advance for your help :D

if that is all the same chick, I am going to say roo.....not sure what breed though...

Actually, the first two pics are the same chick and the second two pics are of the second chick. I sure hope they are not both roos :(
Thanks for the input... I really appreciate it :)

I think the first bird is your Wellie rooster. The second bird could possibly be your brown Leghorn pullet. Leghorns can get a lot of comb early, although that's an awful lot. I'm only thinking pullet because her breast looks feathered brown/salmon, which would indicate pullet. Cockerels of both the Welsummer and brown Leghorns will have black feathers on the breast.

I think the first bird is your Wellie rooster. The second bird could possibly be your brown Leghorn pullet. Leghorns can get a lot of comb early, although that's an awful lot. I'm only thinking pullet because her breast looks feathered brown/salmon, which would indicate pullet. Cockerels of both the Welsummer and brown Leghorns will have black feathers on the breast.

That's what I'm hoping!! The second bird, let's assume its the brown leghorn, seems to be the bossy one in the bunch. She even chases the Wellsummer. I guess we'll know for sure in the coming weeks. Thanks everyone for your input :D

Back
Top Bottom