1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or Not-a-Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by goldtopper, May 19, 2011.

1. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    The first picture is of Krystle, whom I suspect may be Kristopher- Take a look. Redder wattles, comb; slightly larger than the two other Golden Laced Wyandottes who I believe are hens. All were bought as pullets. They are 12 weeks- nobody crows or anything, but he/she has a slightly greenish feather tint in the sun. His/her tail isn't as upright as the others....so? Is this bird a hen that is maturing a little quicker or a young roo?

[​IMG]

Now this is Jan, who seems more rounded and hen-like. Her tail is typically short and upright.

[​IMG]

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Looks to me like a rooster.

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    *bump* help!

4. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Silver Laced Wyandottes, I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I have a roo that is a few weeks younger than your Krystle with a bigger comb and wattles. So hopefully it's just a more mature hen.

5. smk2010

smk2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Looks female to me. Should know for sure in a couple more weeks [​IMG] Good luck.

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Perhaps it is the stance (why do they always have to poop right before the photo?) but it is looking more like a cockerel. That said, I find wyandottes hard to sex. I have experience with SLW's, but not GLW's. That said, wait a few more weeks.. then try. [​IMG] I am not 100% on the cockerel vote.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by