Roo or not? Cochin

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I thought I had a post about my cochin rooster but can't find it. Anyway, I was having trouble trying to tell if my cochin rooster was actually a rooster or a hen. Some of you thought rooster and some thought hen here he is again:

[​IMG]

He is very submissive, even to the girls in the hen house with him. They peck on him all the time. He is very submissive to my 3 yr old and to everyone else for that matter. He is 6 months old and two days ago I caught him in the nest box...I thought well, that's confirmation that he's a she for sure. NOW today, he decided he wanted to be a roo finally! He started crowing this morning. The deepest funniest crow I ever heard, and he also started mating the girls. They were like WHOO what is up with you!? [​IMG]

SO I got myself a cochin rooster [​IMG] That makes me happy because I already have a cochin hen and wanted to get some baby chicks from them. Thought for a while there I had two hens!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL, what a cutie !!!! He was just a little confused !!!! Glad he figured out what he wanted to be !!!!

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Ha ha ha, that's a cute story! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by