Roo or not?

marinagarita

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2016
Hello everyone! My mom bought a new chicken while I was out of town... the woman she bought it from said it was a hen. I'm back, a week later, and am pretty sure it's a roo, but I'm a chicken noob and wanted someone with more experience to let me know!!
It started crowing the day I got home, but I have also seen videos of a hen crowing... haha sorry I feel like such a newbie! Haven't heard him crow after that one time, and currently is living with 1 other chicken, a hen (that I know is a hen!).

I think it's a serama, but I'm also unsure of that. Approx 3-ish months old?

Jackie/Jack is really pretty, but I'm not wanting any roos so if she is a he, then I'll be seeing if I can exchange for a hen.

EDIT:
Aw man... the lady is not willing to exchange. Little bit miffed, but oh well. Going to see if someone will exchange...

Also if anyone is in the Ocala FL area and is interested in a trade, please message me! Doesn't have to be a Sebright (but I'd love one!) just would like a young-ish pullet! He's been fed organic pellets and lots of fresh veggies!
Can't post in the trade section yet so will do that when I'm able..

Last edited:
Aw man... the lady is not willing to exchange. Little bit miffed, but oh well. Going to see if someone will exchange...

Also if anyone is in the Ocala area and is interested in a trade, please message me! Doesn't have to be a Sebright (but I'd love one!) just would like a young-ish pullet! He's been fed organic pellets and lots of fresh veggies!
Can't post in the trade section yet so will do that when I'm able..

Last edited:
Yes he is a rooster,
The lady should take him back as she sold it to you as something else.
It's like someone advertising a a toaster as a kettle and then someone buying it.
They miss sold it to the person
She should take the rooster back

She definitely should. She's being a little bit rude though, so I'm not really going to deal with her anymore
hmm.png

Hopefully can find someone to exchange, or find a good home for him. He is awfully pretty!

Maybe you could mention that BYCers agree this bird was mis-identified as a pullet and it is definitely a roo which you cannot have. He is such a handsome little guy, I don't think you'd have trouble selling him or trading him. You might want to post on your state thread.

Back
Top Bottom