Roo or Not

GrassyNole

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2023
Greetings, hoping for some help as Im new to chickens. These are a little over 2 months old and were purchased from Hoover Hatchery via TSC. They were supposed to be female but I know I have at least one roo at this point...questioning others now. Any help for sure sexing would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    562.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4529.jpeg
    IMG_4529.jpeg
    704.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4530.jpeg
    IMG_4530.jpeg
    511.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4531.jpeg
    IMG_4531.jpeg
    854.2 KB · Views: 16
Third one is your only pullet
Right.
You have 3 roosters :(.
The 1st, 2nd, and 4th are definitely roosters 110%.
Whoever sexed them probably lacked experience, or maybe they made a shipping mistake.
You might be able to get a refund from TSC. Since they only had a 25% correct percentage, you should give them a call.
:thumbsup

Here is the whole scoop. Family really wanted Eater Eggers so I waited until we could order these. Called TSC weekly before they suggested just ordering but had to be a minimum of 10. So, I ordered 10 and kept them for 4 weeks before giving two friends 3 each. My space only allows for 4 chickens. Now, after all this, to find out I only have one hen is a bit of a letdown to say the least. Just called one friend and she thinks at least one of her three are roo too.

What is the best option from here. Get rid of all 4 and start over? See if TSC will send 3 replacement? That option sounds like a pain because I don't really have the space to raise 3 baby chickens until they are old enough to join the coop.

And of course, my daughter is going to be upset now as they are all named :(

Thanks!!

Here is the whole scoop. Family really wanted Eater Eggers so I waited until we could order these. Called TSC weekly before they suggested just ordering but had to be a minimum of 10. So, I ordered 10 and kept them for 4 weeks before giving two friends 3 each. My space only allows for 4 chickens. Now, after all this, to find out I only have one hen is a bit of a letdown to say the least. Just called one friend and she thinks at least one of her three are roo too.

What is the best option from here. Get rid of all 4 and start over? See if TSC will send 3 replacement? That option sounds like a pain because I don't really have the space to raise 3 baby chickens until they are old enough to join the coop.

And of course, my daughter is going to be upset now as they are all named :(

Thanks!!
Rehome or eat, most roos can be identified as such by 9 weeks.
Your daughter will be fine, it's for the best as 3 cocks for one pullet will over breed her and fight.

Daughter will be fine...it makes em tougher!

Yeah, trying to rehome now. Im sure getting rid of 3 roos may be a challenge.

Talked to Hoover. They were very nice, and suggested I get rid of all 4 and "start over". They are sending out 10 next week. How long should I keep all 10 before getting rid of the 6? I dont want to go through this again and want to ensure I have 4 hens.

Last question. Can I just keep the 10 chicks locked in inside the coop with the brooder this time? Much easier than trying to keep in the garage. I live down south, so no worry about cold at this time.

Daughter will be fine...it makes em tougher!

Yeah, trying to rehome now. Im sure getting rid of 3 roos may be a challenge.

Talked to Hoover. They were very nice, and suggested I get rid of all 4 and "start over". They are sending out 10 next week. How long should I keep all 10 before getting rid of the 6? I dont want to go through this again and want to ensure I have 4 hens.

Last question. Can I just keep the 10 chicks locked in inside the coop with the brooder this time? Much easier than trying to keep in the garage. I live down south, so no worry about cold at this time.
Can't you enlarge the space before you get the chickens?
If not, you should wait at least 5-7 weeks and then get rid of the roos. I'm sure an extra hen or two won't be a problem.
:thumbsup

Garage or coop is both fine. Just make sure the coop is safe from predators.

I assume you mean brooding inside the coop? Heat might be a far bigger issue than cold in summers. How well ventilated is the coop? Do you know what the temps get to be inside?

Back
Top Bottom