1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo or not

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ocpoolguy, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ocpoolguy

ocpoolguy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Orange County CA
    We got six chicks as a family project. They are 18 weeks now. When we got them we were told they were sexed and 95% chance all hens. Today one of them Easter egger was Struting and making a louder that normal rrrrrrrbalk sound repeatedly. I sushed her/him within five minutes it started again. At that time they were free ranging in our subdivision back yard. I moved them into the run about 6x15 feet and heshe stoped. Is it time to take that bird out of the flock before there is a cocidoodle doo. I don't want any complaints from neighbors.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    pics would help [​IMG]
    18 weeks he should be crowing already! maybe its a hen getting ready to lay her first egg?

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be an egg song? Hen ,thing. if it is a roo and you keep him in until about 10am you may not have trouble, that is what I am going to do whit the cockerel I got in my last batch. .

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    Prob not a crow, the first ones sound like they are choking on something, and it definelty follows a er er er a er pattern, only it's more like awck awack uck

5. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:does that really work--keeping them in the coop till later in the morning? One of mine looks to be turning out to be a roo, I am in denial cause I don't want to have to give him up. There has been no crowing yet, they are 9 weeks today.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    lorain's fids :

Quote:does that really work--keeping them in the coop till later in the morning? One of mine looks to be turning out to be a roo, I am in denial cause I don't want to have to give him up. There has been no crowing yet, they are 9 weeks today.

Doesn't work for me...they just sound a bit muffled as they crow [​IMG] But my coop lets light in through the windows...​

7. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    I know that all of my RIR hens make a whole lot of noise before they lay an egg. Probably singing the egg song.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    At 18 weeks, I'd think it would be obvious to an experienced eye whether you have a pullet or cockerel. Post a photo and I'm sure you'll get your answer.

9. ocpoolguy

ocpoolguy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Orange County CA
    Ok thanks for the info Im feelin better now will post some pics.

10. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I don't know if a roo would start crowing so late. One of my boys started trying to crow between 5 - 6 weeks and another one is trying now at just after 8 weeks.

Edited to add: I'm trying to figure out how to keep at least one of mine also. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by