Roo or not

ocpoolguy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Orange County CA
We got six chicks as a family project. They are 18 weeks now. When we got them we were told they were sexed and 95% chance all hens. Today one of them Easter egger was Struting and making a louder that normal rrrrrrrbalk sound repeatedly. I sushed her/him within five minutes it started again. At that time they were free ranging in our subdivision back yard. I moved them into the run about 6x15 feet and heshe stoped. Is it time to take that bird out of the flock before there is a cocidoodle doo. I don't want any complaints from neighbors.
81611_photo.jpg

Last edited:
pics would help
smile.png

18 weeks he should be crowing already! maybe its a hen getting ready to lay her first egg?

Quote:
does that really work--keeping them in the coop till later in the morning? One of mine looks to be turning out to be a roo, I am in denial cause I don't want to have to give him up. There has been no crowing yet, they are 9 weeks today.

lorain's fids :

Quote:
does that really work--keeping them in the coop till later in the morning? One of mine looks to be turning out to be a roo, I am in denial cause I don't want to have to give him up. There has been no crowing yet, they are 9 weeks today.

Doesn't work for me...they just sound a bit muffled as they crow
smile.png
But my coop lets light in through the windows...​

At 18 weeks, I'd think it would be obvious to an experienced eye whether you have a pullet or cockerel. Post a photo and I'm sure you'll get your answer.

I don't know if a roo would start crowing so late. One of my boys started trying to crow between 5 - 6 weeks and another one is trying now at just after 8 weeks.

Edited to add: I'm trying to figure out how to keep at least one of mine also.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom