Roo or Pullet??

Jlynn7

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 8, 2014
MALE?

I'm new to the chicken thing, and I recently purchased 4 sexlinks, I was told they were female, but I question two of them, the lighter ones are much bigger than the other two dark ones and they both grew combs that are pretty red, one of them is a little more aggressive than the others. Any thoughts on if they are all pullets or did we end up getting a cockerel in the bunch? Can pullets have combs that big? And any thoughts on what they could be mixed with? They are 4 weeks old, Thank you so much! Sorry if the pictures aren't that great

PICTURE 1

PICTURE 2 MALE??? This one is the aggressive one

PICTURE 3

PICTURE 4 Both Males?

PICTURE 5 Male??

PICTURE 6 both males?

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am not familiar with this breed. Michael OShay is and he will be by shortly to welcome you in. He can tell you all you need to know about Sexlinks. You can also post pics in our What Breed and Gender section for more help as well...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck with your chicks. Cute! Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm also not sure about sex links. Judging by combs pictures 6,5,4(the one in front) 2 and the very first pic are all males.

Thank you so much!! I started a thread in the what breed and gender is this section, I appreciate your time and help! :)

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. TwoCrows gives me too much credit. :eek:) If these birds were all Red Sex Links, they would all be females as female Red Sex Link chicks are reddish and males are whitish, however these are not sex links. They could be second generation from Red Sex Links (Red Sex Link male bred to Red Sex Link female), but because sex links don't breed true all you get is hybrids when you breed two sex links together. They are no longer sex links. I'm
going to give whoever sold you these the benefit of the doubt. They may not have realized that Red Sex Links don't breed true and thought because the offspring were reddish that they were female, but whether intentional or not, they have sold you a bunch of cockerels. Sorry. :eek:( Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. TwoCrows gives me too much credit. :eek:) If these birds were all Red Sex Links, they would all be females as female Red Sex Link chicks are reddish and males are whitish, however these are not sex links. They could be second generation from Red Sex Links (Red Sex Link male bred to Red Sex Link female), but because sex links don't breed true all you get is hybrids when you breed two sex links together. They are no longer sex links. I'm
going to give whoever sold you these the benefit of the doubt. They may not have realized that Red Sex Links don't breed true and thought because the offspring were reddish that they were female, but whether intentional or not, they have sold you a bunch of cockerels. Sorry. :eek:( Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can.

P.S. If it's any consulation, the two darker ones in picture number 1 and in picture 3 appear to be a different bird (maybe an actual breed) altogether and may in fact be female. I can't see the head well of the chick in picture 3, but based on what I can see, I'm leaning toward female on that one. :eek:)

Wow that was very informative, thank you so much!! Its a shame the two reds are males. I am however happy to hear the other two could possibly be an actual breed, I can't wait to see how they turn out when they are older. Thank you again for replying I really appreciate it! :) :) !!
thumbsup.gif

Wow that was very informative, thank you so much!! Its a shame the two reds are males. I am however happy to hear the other two could possibly be an actual breed, I can't wait to see how they turn out when they are older. Thank you again for replying I really appreciate it! :) :) !!
thumbsup.gif

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom