1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo problem and question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bedste, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    We have an aggressive Roo who is not making it difficult to even feed and water the flock. We are weighing out the options of separated him from the girls or sending him to freezer camp. He appears to be moulting. He has lost some feathers on the small of his back. If he is moulting do we need to wait until he is finished moulting to process and dress him?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I would not wait. Freezer camp does not care what they look like on the outside.

3. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    But does molting change their meat taste or anything?

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    If you want to keep him, check out Gritsar's BYC page. (if you search for her, you can click on the link below her avatar). She has a page on how to reform an aggressive rooster. As for how a molting rooster tastes...no idea. I know they can lose weight during a molt, but I don't know that taste would be any different.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Molting shouldn't affect the taste of his meat and should only make the chore of plucking him go easier & faster. Process him before the new pinfeathers begin to grow in, or just skin him. Mean roosters are best appreciated as dinner guests, invite him in soon & go find another nicer one to replace him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by