Roo reducing egg production??

K. Kolberg

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2017
Hey, so I hatched a couple chicks last year and both of them were roosters. I got rid of one, but I wanted to keep the other for a bit longer. However, I’ve noticed that he’s been active with the hens, and now they have hardly been laying any eggs, what should I do? They had just got out of laying hardly any eggs for the fall and now they are once again laying barely any. I don’t think that is right, some of my chickens that are way past 6 months now still haven’t even started properly laying yet and I have some Easter eggers that are about a year old now and still have only layed a couple of eggs.

Hi there. :frow

Although an introduction of a new rooster may diminish short term laying... it should not really impact your numbers. Roosters are often enjoyed by the ladies as he protects them and calls them to treats and even searches out safe places to lay... ONCE he has matured... may even ADD to egg production. Teenagers can be quite randy though... if he is constantly mounting when they try to eat or dirt bathe... then separate him out a little to get maturity and his hormones to calm a bit.

Hatchery EE can sometimes be sporadic layers. Mine insists on hiding her nest IF she thinks the one she's using is being raided. Therefor I ALWAYS leave fake eggs behind.

Nutrition, genetics, daylight... are your top culprits. Genetics being top. What are you feeding including treats and supplements?

Birds hatched May and later... may start laying much later due to day light. I have had some birds lay as late as 9 months... fine if they are just pets... their eggs will bigger from the beginning and maybe they will lay linger than earlier layers... hens are hatched will all the eggs (the follicles) they will ever lay on board.

How old is your rooster now? How old are the hens? Production is usually highest number wise their first laying season.

Hope this helps some! :fl

No, its the opposite. Having a rooster makes hens lay more eggs.
That a patently false!

They had just got out of laying hardly any eggs for the fall and now they are once again laying barely any.
Could be a bit early yet.

However, I’ve noticed that he’s been active with the hens, and now they have hardly been laying any eggs, what should I do?
How active?
Chasing them non stop and they can't get away from him?
Does he pin them down to mate them?
A cock/erel can certainly create enough stress in the flock to depress laying.

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

A good rooster may encourage your hens to lay however a bad acting rooster may do the opposite.
Do your hens show wear, are they missing feathers from his attenations, do you observe him, how does he interact with his girls?
Also good questions would be about your chickens total diet and nutrition and lifestyle. Are they cooped up or free range.
Free range birds could be laying eggs elsewhere.
Pictures may help us.

Back
Top Bottom