Roo Roost In Tree's?

NC Chick Man82

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
North Carolina
Anyone got any roo's that prefer roosting in tree's over night rather than in the safety of the coop? I have a roo that at dusk flies up in a river bark tree in front of the coop and stays right there all night till I get up to go to work in the morning at 5 am...

I tried to pull him out tree and put him in coop but next day he just flies right back in tree, so i just leave him there and when i walk out in the morning i say "come on boy" and he flies out tree and waits for me to open coop and goes on in to get feed and water!

Just wondering if anyone else has birds that do this, I have read that people have birds that like to roost in tree's but usually the outcome is they end up going to coop at dusk, mine dont no matter how late i leave coop open, once he in tree he is there for the night!

I have had that with hens before. Might want to clip those wing feathers to keep it from flying or some morning all you'll find below that tree is a pile of feathers!
LoL... way i see it, i supply him with a safe place to live if he so chooses to stay out in the dangers that him if he ends up dead well thats just one less roo i have and i can get another one for $1.79

Thanks for the suggestion though

Coop is surrounded with electric fence and pretty much every animal that has came around has learned to stay away from it or even close to it... unfortunately for birds they dont get the second chance its one hit and they dead except for the chickens of course...

Back
Top Bottom